• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch So I Filmed a Wedding...

I finished a rough cut to a short intro/montage for the couple. It's not bad, but I am sending the footage to my editor since she gets paid to edit, and is much better than me at it. I'd rather just shoot/direct it.

Tell me what you guys think. I can careless about the editing since its rough, but tell me what you think about the shot composition.

camera specs: hvx200/ 720p/ 24p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANnGoyx_rI0

watch in hd

I used to shoot weddings a while back. Well I would say learn how to shoot stuff with manuel settings first. For me personally looking at a shot out of focus is really irritating. Next off, love your tripod. The tripod is your friend, especially for weddings. Don't get me wrong for some of the shots it worked really well but for most of the shots where it was just you holding the camera as still as you can it doesn't work. I would even recommend a mono-pod. Finally I would say have some fun with the shots. Try different angles and rack focuses. Remember the moving camera does look great if you can pull it off correctly.

Just so you know, it was pretty good even with all that. I have seen way worse and you are ahead of the curve. Good luck.

I used to shoot weddings a while back. Well I would say learn how to shoot stuff with manuel settings first. For me personally looking at a shot out of focus is really irritating. Next off, love your tripod. The tripod is your friend, especially for weddings. Don't get me wrong for some of the shots it worked really well but for most of the shots where it was just you holding the camera as still as you can it doesn't work. I would even recommend a mono-pod. Finally I would say have some fun with the shots. Try different angles and rack focuses. Remember the moving camera does look great if you can pull it off correctly.

Just so you know, it was pretty good even with all that. I have seen way worse and you are ahead of the curve. Good luck.

thanks for your opinion.. but that really sounded like the cliche pov towards weddings. My intentions were to give it a different look.. and break away from that cookie cutter mold that wedding videographers use. To me, wedding videos are bland, boring, and shot poorly.. I wanted that "steadycam feel", instead of tripod'in it the whole time.

A few shots were out of focus, yes I know. I had a problem with the focus ring the whole night.. it really wasn't hitting its mark like it should.

I have over 4 hours of footage.. believe me, there are plenty of rack focuses and different angles. Also, I don't ever touch auto settings on a camera. It makes it look like a home video if you do that. The camera was always on manual

thanks for your opinion.. but that really sounded like the cliche pov towards weddings. My intentions were to give it a different look.. and break away from that cookie cutter mold that wedding videographers use. To me, wedding videos are bland, boring, and shot poorly.. I wanted that "steadycam feel", instead of tripod'in it the whole time.

Maybe you should try getting a steadycam to actually give it that feel... if you don't have the appropriate equipment to fulfill your visualization, you might end up getting what you are running away from: an amateur video. Also...make sure the bride and the groom want you to experiment with their wedding.... most just want the memory of their wedding to be stored on video... hence the cliche pov towards weddings.

^ beat me to it.

You want a steadicam feel without one?

The focus was your fault, learn how to correctly pull focus if you want to manually do it.

I agree with the others that you need more practice, and you seem to be too arrogant to realize it.

I've found that handheld processed through shake into slowmo gives a really good feel to the footage. I'm actually least happy with the 'pod shots I took out of the 5 hours of tape from the last wedding I shot. I got much better footage from my shoulder then from a tripod as I could explore at the pace of the wedding to find better shots rather then being locked into a shot simply because I'd miss the moment if I were to take the time to adjust the tripod. I liked it quite a bit... I'd lose the "A film by" piece at the beginning though, I still feel it needs to be focussed on the clients event rather than on the filmmaker shooting it.

Back