So I chose FCP as my wepon of choice for University then FCPX comes out:(.

Ok, bit of background probably needed. A couple of years ago I got into Sony Vegas and was very happy with it. I then decided to do A MA in Media and Culture (starting this September) and thought it would be good to learn one of the systems they use (Avid and FCP). I thought this would aid collaboration. After much consideration I settles for FCP and spent a wad of money on a mac.

I have been using it for a while and like it. I am not loyal to any software, 80% of editing happens in the head not on the computer. My main consideration is what is best to learn for collage collaboration and for getting work afterwards.

Then apple brings out FCPX which there is lot to like (especially for documentary which is my interest). I think the main problem is apple have not really finished it and it is not until they add things like multicam and EDL export get sorted that we can really judge.

I am still thinking it is best to stick with FCP 7 and keep an eye on what happens when Apple have finished cooking FCP X but am wondering if there is going to be a migration to Avid or Premier.

So I thought I would call on the collective insight on IndyTalk and see what people thing.

Ben

Well FCP7 will be fine I think as i doubt your going to be working with anything to heavy at all in your first year. If you want something to be a bit of a beast, i would suggest getting a student CS5 production suite (£350 tops) get After effects, Photoshop, flash etc good package for uni and Premiere is now 64bit so will use your whole system. Premiere and FCP are pretty much the same program imo so going from one to the other is easy, only thing that's mainly different is the short cuts.

Well FCP7 will be fine I think as i doubt your going to be working with anything to heavy at all in your first year. If you want something to be a bit of a beast, i would suggest getting a student CS5 production suite (£350 tops) get After effects, Photoshop, flash etc good package for uni and Premiere is now 64bit so will use your whole system. Premiere and FCP are pretty much the same program imo so going from one to the other is easy, only thing that's mainly different is the short cuts.

Thanks for that, is an MA I am doing, I have been making films for over 10 years including stuff for Local Council and even flirted with broadcast. My main MA project is probably going to be a 1houre to feature length documentary so I need something fairly industrial.

My stuff is at http://www.funkytwig.com.

FCP 7 is the best. FCx is crap. They took out multi-cam and other stuff. Motion 5 is okay, but FCP 7 is used widely. TNN uses it, I would know. FCx can't open projects from FCP 7. But FCP 7 can open projects, from FCP 3ish-FCP 7. FCP 7 also has an ability to set-up workflows between solidworks and such for virtual sets with some other programs. FCx uses a different architecture, can't do that. So be happy with FCP 7!

Back