...so, about my mac....

AAARRGGGHHH!!!

...I just want to make this mac go to fullscreen!

This is my new G4 and being the pc user that I am, I am trying to get used to the Macintosh version of computers. I am trying to make my window go to fullscreen. I feel dumb asking about this, and I have yet to get the hang of the help text bar.

...my windows only go to half the screen even when I hit the max button. Anyone on here who can quickly advise me on how to just make the window fullscreen? (the manual, quite skinny it is, does not address this)

I can figure out Final Cut Pro, but I can't make this computer go to fullscreen. I must be crazy...

---spinner :cool:

...okay, when on a pc, you open Word, for instance, when Word opens it covers the whole screen unless you minimize the window and re-size it to where you want it. On this mac, it seems that even if I hit the green maximize button (?) it only covers part (half) of my screen... How do I make it go across the whole screen?

--spinner :cool:

Ah. Yes, this is one of those little annoyances (for me as well) of the Mac. The only thing you can really do, if you want the document window to take up the whole desktop, is drag the corner until the window fills the screen.

I prefer the Windows method as well, but you get used to it on the Mac.

...I knew I could ask on this site and get a quick answer! Thank you so much, Beeblebrox! I have only had the opportunity to test drive the new mac today and I don't mind saying it has been slow going. I think I will have to get a Mac for dummies book.

...how long have you used mac? Did you ever use pc? And just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get used to the new set up? I'm sure it will take me as long as it takes (hopefully not that long) but I was just wondering...

...thanks again!

...one more thing...

I have some files from pc that I want to put on my mac, however, it says that some of the files might not all be there. I put them on cd and was able to transfer a file, but another file didn't want to be transferred into my documents and so I am holding off on dragging them into the document file. I would like not to screw anything up.... Any advice on other things I should look out for?

...its late, going to sleep (practically on my computers), and thanks again, Beeblebrox :) I'll check the posts tomorrow

...how long have you used mac?

Off and on for awhile, but I bought my first Mac in February. Before that, I used a G3 w/ OS 9, but it wasn't mine.

Did you ever use pc?

I have an Athlon 2400+ desktop and a Athlon 2200+ laptop. My Mac is a Mini.

I go back and forth between them all of the time. I do most of my Flash work on the desktop. I use the Mac for FCP. And I do my writing and most of my websurfing on my laptop.

And just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get used to the new set up?

Not long at all. For the most part, the interfaces are very similar. I like some things about OS X more and some things about XP. It all kind of balances out to me.

spinner said:
I put them on cd and was able to transfer a file, but another file didn't want to be transferred into my documents and so I am holding off on dragging them into the document file. I would like not to screw anything up.... Any advice on other things I should look out for?

Again, it's hard to say without knowing more details. I don't know any particular reason why a file wouldn't transfer to your document folder. What were the file types?

spinner said:
...my windows only go to half the screen even when I hit the max button. :
I assume you were using Safari to view the indietalk website. If you maximize Safari (or most apps) they usually do not fill the whole screen unless they need that much space to display all the information you are viewing. If you have a higher resultion, maximing on Windows leaves you with empty space on left and right of the Internet Explorer page. On Mac if you maximize the same window, it just makes it big enough to fit everything (so you do not have those empty spaces and the program does not fill the whole screen). I think that's what you were experiencing there.

Getting used to a Mac depends a lot on how computer savvy you are. I bought my first Mac when Final Cut Pro 1.0 came out. Never really used a Mac before that (but I knew the ins and outs of Windows). Now when I use Windows sometimes I feel like I have a hand tied behing my back. Advanced Mac users would likely agree. Windows definitely needs something like Exposé just to start...

You need to elaborate more and the CD transfer of documents. It's also important how you burn the files (ISO, UDF, the character set format, mode 1/2, etc...). I have always transfered files between between Mac and Windows through my network. My first Mac did not have a DVD recorder but my PC did (plus back then Windows had better mpg2 encoding tools) so I would do all DVD Authoring on PC.

Play with the Mac for a while. You'll get used to it. My PowerBook is back at Apple for some repairs. I have not had it for a week and am going crazy!

Oh spinner, I can sense it. Mmmmmmmmmmm, I can feel your anger. Release your hate! Soon, you will return to the dahhhhk ssssside. mu-wahaha, mu-wahahahahha!

Sorry, sometimes that happens to me. I'm NOT a mac user (insert rolling eyes and the word 'duh' here) but I have had a little experience with PC to mac transfer of files. So, having said that, what is the file extension for the file that won't transfer?

...I don't know anymore which file it was, I was on to other aggravations, like not being able to 'batch' drag the files that did cooperate into a file. Had to do them all one at a time. Better than 30 files. Its irritating when you have to get ready for work.

...this may be a dumb question, but: is it possible to be on the net on a laptop if I am going to be no where near a dial up jack? This manual sucks....

...and Boz, why do ya think I listen to so much Metal right now? (besides my project). Very much down with the sickness (oohwa-ah-ah-ah) :evil: ...somebody's gotta scream..

...btw, I can't find the delete key, either. Damn it, I will learn this computer! Cruel fate why do you mock me?...okay, I need more sleep.... Or at least to be on this site when I am more awake :)

Last edited:
Hmm delete key. I don't know what keyboard you are using but my mac keyboard's delete button is the one with 'delete' written on it with the = to its left and the \ below :P

lux said:
Hmm delete key. I don't know what keyboard you are using but my mac keyboard's delete button is the one with 'delete' written on it with the = to its left and the \ below :P

... :lol: okay, okay, let me clarify. That's what I get for trying to be clear at 3:00am...

...first off, delete functions alittle differently so I am getting used to that. I was actually quite sleepily referring to the fact that I couldn't find delete in the drop down menu, so when I highlighted a file I wanted to delete, all I could do was drag it to trash, and even then the file still appeared to be there....

Not only that, the Mac keyboard actually has TWO delete keys.

...I only see one so the other must be 'splat something or other'. My manual is very flat. I am assuming that is because they expect you to understand the system well enough when you buy it. (I am going to Barnes and Noble... :grumpy: )

...also I leave what I am doing alone for a minute and the screen dims and goes to black. On my pc I can got to the desk top and adjust the time that the screen saver comes up, I wouldn't even know where to begin to do that on this.

...even though I am :grumpy: I do see some interesting things and once I install FCP, I am familiar with the program, so I won't be completely in the dark....

...guys, if I didn't already say so, thanks for listening to my incoherent, barely awake, pissing and moaning about this computer. I know I just need to use it to get used to it. I just want to know everything NOW!

...the windows to find things are strange to me right now, but I assume I can figure out how to customize the computer so that it does what I want it to eventually.

...I appreciate the assistance you have given me thus far, more dumb questions are forthcoming :D

Oh I think I get you now. If you want to delete a file, select the file and hold down the apple key and press 'delete' (the apple key being the one on either side of the space bar). The other 'delete' key is under the help key above the up, down, left, right keys. Don't stress over that one though, I can't say i've ever used it (or know how to use it:(). As for the computer sleeping, check your settings in the 'system preferences' app in the applications folder. You can use the 'energy saver' and 'desktop & screensaver' to fix your probs. I would highly recommend buying one of those mac books. I have the 'mac osx missing manual' and that does me fine. Stick in there Spinner, soon enough you will find eternal happiness with your mac!

Spinner don't worry once you get used to it you will be like why didnt I go mac before. They are bad ass machines.

...this may be a dumb question, but: is it possible to be on the net on a laptop if I am going to be no where near a dial up jack? This manual sucks....

First no question is a dumb question we all need to learn some how. Ok for this question will if you have dial up i believe you have to have a jack near by. Unless they have wirless dial up? But your mac comes with bluetooth technology. you need to get a cable modem, then by the AirPort Express Base Station plug that into your modem, then once it's all on your pretty much on the net wirlessly. Once you plug everything just go through the setup bluetooth, and it should guide you through. Here's the link to the base staion http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...atnAx/1.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.9.17.0.1.0.1.1.0.1.0.1

Have fun....

vegasindiestv said:
Ok for this question will if you have dial up i believe you have to have a jack near by. Unless they have wirless dial up? But your mac comes with bluetooth technology. you need to get a cable modem, then by the AirPort Express Base Station plug that into your modem, then once it's all on your pretty much on the net wirlessly. Once you plug everything just go through the setup bluetooth, and it should guide you through.

Just to clarify here, vegasindiestv, Bluetooth is a wireless standard that is used to connect Bluethooth devices (PDAs, Cell phones, keyboards, mice, etc....). You can even connect two macs together if they have Bluetooth, but it's too slow to move large files. You cannot use Bluetooth to connect to the internet. You need a wireless card for that. Most Macs come with one and it's called Airport. This will connect to just about any kind of wireless rounter (it does not have to be an Apple Airport Base station).

...guys, thanks for all the advice, I did re-set my screen saver so that is better. About the airport stuff: if I get the base station, just how far away from home can I be to use the wireless net connection?...

Back