• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch SNAPSHOT - Shortfilm [Canon 550D]

Title: Snapshot

Description:
We are thrown into an interrogation in a mental hospital where investigators are trying to find out what really happened with Christine Valberg.

Language: Norwegian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6v1s0BJgHw

Sorry about no subtitles. This project took me a very long time to complete.
It would be interesting to see if someone who doesn't speak the film's language
would understand what they were talking about, what's going on, etc.
Remember to watch in HD

I'll put them here because I think others may benefit if you don't mind!

Overall not bad. I really think the sound design can be upped and here are a few time-specific notes. The balance between the music and foley and backgrounds I think could be improved but you really did a good job with creating the environment and setting for the story.

P.S. I've recorded many hours of Norwegian, Swedish and Danish dubbing sessions and I could make out a few words. Basically, the story is, the guy sees the girl at the bar, falls in love, then he believes he only took a picture of her and that's what he told the psychiatrists. Then, it's revealed what really happened, and what he shot her with was a gun and not a camera. Vanilla Sky-esque.

3:25 noticeable ADR.

What's with the background pulsing in the doctor's office? Sounds fake. It's also thin and in the voice range. I'd try a lower throbbing to put in the ambience to create a nice bed that the voices can sit above.

4:16 noticeable change in sound for one word.

4:29 that guy is miked too close.

Same with the next guy.

4:49 dialogue sounds out of phase and panned to the right.

5:00 too loud. Pushed me back in my seat.

5:15 I like the drop to silence.

5:30 not so sure about the match lighting FX. Might be better to play it down to silence and then the door opening.

5:40 Footsteps too loud in relation to door opening and dialogue. Mix is a bit out of whack. I'd pull down footsteps, pull up door opening.

5:55 - Interior of the car sounds off. Too dull. Need more rattles and suspension bumps.

6:15 Car engine rev needs more balls. More beef - low-end.

6:30 Footsteps too loud in snow. They also sound fake - like they were made with corn starch.

This whole outside scene sounds ADRed with no early reflections off the snow or the ground.

6:50 no foley for strap over neck.

Need more breathing - some of the breath that I see coming out of their mouths are not heard.

7:36 the suck-out effect is getting a bit too predictable at this point.

7:55 after this fade to black I'd add in at least 3 seconds of silence before the first sound and resultant fade-up of picture.

8:15 Now the pulsing is back? Does this mean it's back in a dream-world or something? I notice because in the first time we're in the white room, the pulse is there, and then it's not there after the first suck, and then at 8:30 the pulsing drops but it comes back in. It's a little confusing and right in the vocal range so it's a bit annoying.

Same goes the the little cell phone ring that is mixed in with the ambience…

9:30 Dialogue sounds odd. The struggling of the person under him doesn't sound right and is too loud. And the foley. The same sound effects come back around 10:05 - it's getting very annoying at this point.

10:13 Very convincing outdoors ambience. I like it.

10:30 Again, interior of the car is not right.

10:40 The car horn needs a doppler effect on it.

11:29 The kick needs more beef to it. Make it gush as well. Make it more gory.

12:10 The word he yells needs a forest slap-back echo to it.

12:40 I'd put in a real gun shot sound effect at the end and not a camera effect still.

BTW, I looked in the credits who did the sound design and mix of this and I noticed that your name was listed about 10 times in a row and it was written in Norwegian so I couldn't see who did what.

But if it was you, Very well done my friend!

Sounds better than most short films I have seen!

BTW, I looked in the credits who did the sound design and mix of this and I noticed that your name was listed about 10 times in a row and it was written in Norwegian so I couldn't see who did what.

But if it was you, Very well done my friend!

Sounds better than most short films I have seen!

I usually never agrees 100% with someone but your post is an exception.
I went through the whole film with your notes and your right all the time.
Even your ideas is great. + You managed to understand the film 100% with-
out knowing what they really talked about. Awesome.

Yeah I was the guy who mixed the sound and all. Tho I did not record it since I
was holding the camera. There was alot of problems on the set with the audio
such as at the outside/camera scene. The car's engine made a really loud sound.
And it always changed from angle to angle. So I used a billion hours to try and decrease
that sound. I also had 5 hours on doing the sound, synching took forever.

I was also the composer for this film, except I compose the song in the beginning. I
just didnt have any more time, sigh. Owell, good learning experience.

You're very welcome.

Well as a one-man-band your film is very very good.

Usually, there are teams of at least 10 people handling the music, 10 people handling the FX, and 5 people handling the dialogue.

But, for you to do it all yourself and figure it out and come up with something like this is actually quite awesome and my hat's off to you.

Great job.

Can't wait to see what you come out with next. Did you see my post re: Sound Design?

Back