Slightly obsessed with Dostoevsky

I'm a Scot who lives on top of a mountain in France and works as a blogger for a Los Angeles independent film production company who make modern adaptations of Dostoevsky novels. I joined this forum to seek discussion with other people who love the classics and appreciate the importance of indie film-making. If you have a mo, why not visit the website for our latest film, Dostoevsky Reimagined: The Making of Notes from the New World, www.dostoevsky-bts.com and let me know what you think about our work! It's important to us to maintain the substance of the original book, while bringing the key issues right up to date. Our next film is Crime and Punishment LA... I find this ridiculously exciting!

Last edited:
Welcome! I dropped by your thread in particular because I'm a ridiculous Dostoyevsky lover, too. I've been thinking of naming my first short Notes from the Underground, although it has comparatively little to do with Dostoyevsky, and I've been thinking of trying a short adaptation of The Idiot in modern times once I've found my feet.

Adaptations

Good luck with your writing! I think there's a Notes from Underground in everyone... I expect that we'll get round to a modern adaptation of The Idiot some time. As with the rest of our films, it'll be based in LA. I'd enjoy a Glasgow-based version. I was born there in Stobhill Hospital, and began life in Kirkintilloch, then Clarkston, before moving to Kent.

Good luck with your writing! I think there's a Notes from Underground in everyone... I expect that we'll get round to a modern adaptation of The Idiot some time. As with the rest of our films, it'll be based in LA. I'd enjoy a Glasgow-based version. I was born there in Stobhill Hospital, and began life in Kirkintilloch, then Clarkston, before moving to Kent.

I'd be up for collaborating on a Glasgow-based The Idiot. I was born in the Royal Maternity in Rottenrow, briedfly lived in Hyndland, grew up in the Highlands, then it was Drumchapel and now Partick. I was thinking of putting a modern-day Myshkin in one of the 1980s epileptic colonies in England - something like Alpha House - before he comes to Glasgow. Glasgow's gloomy enough for this!

Back