Sigma 18-35mm question

Hello!
So I decided to buy a Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 lens but can't figure out which mount would be right for me. Now I have a Canon 550D but I'm thinking about moving to GH3 (or GH4K) or Blackmagic Pocket in the future, probably with the speedbooster too. But while I still have a 550D I should have to be able to use that lens with this body.
So the Nikon mount has that manual aperture. Canon hasn't. I understand that the best future investment would be Nikon mount lens but if I'm staying with a Canon for a while, I would have to use the adapter. How good are these nikon to eos adapters?

Nikon to eos mount adapters work fine for old lenses, but probably won't be good for that one. They're passive, so there's no way to change the aperture settings on the lens, unlike a nikon-m4/3 adapter where there is room on the adapter to put an aperture control ring.

Nikon to eos mount adapters work fine for old lenses, but probably won't be good for that one. They're passive, so there's no way to change the aperture settings on the lens, unlike a nikon-m4/3 adapter where there is room on the adapter to put an aperture control ring.

I can be wrong but I think this adapter gives that ability to change the aperture with that plastic thing. http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-D-Type-EOS-Camera/dp/B008BBIBOM

"Sigma Nikon 18-35 +
Nikon Speedbooster +
BMPCC"

This combo is my main goal but for now I have a budget only for the lens. So I will probably have to live with that old 550D for about 6-8 months more. But I'm afraid about adapter solutions because I must be able to use that lens while I still have Canon body.
I read also about loosing infinity focus with these adapters too. Can't find if it's true.

That mount and the investment into glass is why people end up sticking with a specific brand… the body is replaceable, but the lenses are really something people get used to using… and where the majority of the money is spent… they don't get old. If you're moving to the GH3, buy one for the GH3 and don't use it on the Canon… then you'll be sticking with the mount (Micro 4/3?)that panasonic has settled on.

That mount and the investment into glass is why people end up sticking with a specific brand… the body is replaceable, but the lenses are really something people get used to using… and where the majority of the money is spent… they don't get old. If you're moving to the GH3, buy one for the GH3 and don't use it on the Canon… then you'll be sticking with the mount (Micro 4/3?)that panasonic has settled on.

The thing is that there are no MFT mount Sigma lenses. I have to choose between Canon or Nikon mount. And I have to be able to use that lens with my Canon body while I still have it.
The short question might be - what is the best future investment: Canon or Nikon mount lens?

have you got pics of the manual aperture ring? because i have the canon version, I also saw the nikon version but i didn't see any aperture ring on it?

There is no manual aperture ring on the lens but it has the mechanics that allow with the adapter to open and shut it in the lens. I guess you can't change manually aperture in the Canon lens, only with the adapter that includes it's own aperture control.

Nikon-F-mount-side-of-the-Nikon-G-AF-S-AI-F-Lens-to-Canon-EOS-EF-Mount-Adapter.jpg

Nikon lenses can be changed manually, Canon cannot. Nikon lenses can be used on the most cameras; and in the case of current available hardware, the speedbooster/sigma/bmpcc combo is a "no-brainer" when it comes to low cost production in indie narrative. Future cameras that will be best geared to us (most likely to improve on the black magic cameras now available), are most likely to have the m4/3 mount, and most likely to be made by black magic. The aforementioned combo is the most intelligent way to go right now - not by a little as usual with camera tech, but by a lot. Simply put, there's never been anything like it previous, a 2 grand supermachine.

So I understand that the best future investment would be the Nikon mount lens, right?

Yes - you can use it on your canon with the above pictured adapter. As 8sal notes, you can also opt for sigma to switch out the mount when needed.

*I should mention - the speedbooster mount is incredible - both flange and aperture ring (professional quality). The cheap flange adapters are less so... but it will be temporary in your case, and will do the job.

Last edited:
Yes - you can use it on your canon with the above pictured adapter. As 8sal notes, you can also opt for sigma to switch out the mount when needed.

*I should mention - the speedbooster mount is incredible - both flange and aperture ring (professional quality). The cheap flange adapters are less so... but it will be temporary in your case, and will do the job.

Thanks!

Back