• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shutter speed or frame rate?

Hi!

I have a project soon where there'll be some action scenes, my question is, for the fast motion look that we see in some videos, what is the correct technique; should I make the shutter speed faster and leave the settings at 24fps or I should record at 50/60fps at the same time I change the shutter speed?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english.

If you’re talking about what is commonly called the “Saving Private Ryan” effect, it’s all about shutter speed.

Frame rate is your time base, and you should stick with your project time base unless you’re shooting for slow-mo or some other playback speed effect. For example, shoot 60p for smooth slowmo playback at 24fps.

Shutter speed is what determines motion blur. 24p at 1/50 is going to look similar to traditional motion picutre with a minimal but pleasing amount of motion blur. To make things look really crisp - like capturing water droplets in a fountain or individual dirt particles in an explosion - shoot a higher shutter speed like 1/200 or 1/250. Or higher if that doesn’t give you the look you want.

Last edited:
If you’re talking about what is commonly called the “Saving Private Ryan” effect, it’s all about shutter speed.

Frane rate is your time base, and you should stick with your project time base unless you’re shooting for slow-mo or some other playback speed effect. For example, shoot 60p for smooth slowmo playback at 24fps.

Shutter speed is what determines motion blur. 24p at 1/50 is going to look similar to traditional motion picutre with a minimal but pleasing amount of motion blur. To make things look really crisp - like capturing water droplets in a fountain or individual dirt particles in an explosion - shoot a higher shutter speed like 1/200 or 1/250. Or higher if that doesn’t give you the look you want.

Thank you!!

Back