Shure SM57

Uranium City

Pro Member
indiePRO
Can someone tell me why it would be a poor idea to use a Shure SM57 on a boom for recording dialog on an interior set?

I'm pretty sure it would be a poor idea, but I don't know enough about mics to explain why. Lil' help?

I can tell you right off the bat that you won't appreciate the weight of the 57. It's gotta be at least a pound, maybe more, which doesn't sound like all that much until you stick it at the end of a boom and hold it over your head all day.

I use 57s primarily for mic'ing instruments. It works okay as a vocal mic, but has less low end response than I like for voice applications.

It's also a dynamic mic, so isn't as sensitive as a condenser for low volume speech.

Just my two bits. I'm sure Alcove will have much better feedback on it.

Got it. I use it two inches in front of my amp and used to put it two inches in front of my mouth for narration, but it wouldn't pick up enough signal if placed even a couple feet away from actors?

The 57 and 58 are workhorse mics. They're built like tanks - hence the weight - so stage performers can drop them, bash into them, etc. and they'll keep on ticking. Part of that durability is also built into the pickup. They're dynamic, which means there is no source of power other than the actual sound waves moving a magnet, which in keeping with their toughness is pretty sturdy. Consequently, it takes a pretty strong sound wave to move the thing to the degree for which it was designed. You can record quieter sounds with them, sure, but I doubt you'll be happy with the signal quality. Experiment and see.

Back