Should I sell my 18-55mm lens?

Hey everyone. So I just bought my first DSLR (a t5i) and it came with an 18-55mm lens. Online I see a few places that say it isn't great for shooting video. Is this true? If so, what is a good lens to start off with? I'm not looking for anything crazy, just filming people in a room, or a small park sized area max.

I would say the kit lenses are fine for shooting video, nothing seriously wrong with them.

The most problems that they'll give you are mild blurriness that's only noticeable on a very clear HD video when compared to a better lens, and a rather slow F-stop, which isn't so great for video if you don't have the best lighting on hand. But if it's what you got, it gets the job done for now.

Best thing to do for anything in the Rebel Canon line of T#i's is to get the Nifty 50 (50mm) first. Any prime lenses, even if they're cheap, will inherently give you a somewhat crisper image than a telephoto/zoom lens will, because there's less glass.

I also wouldn't go out and try to sell your 18-55 lens, because they're usually cheap enough that anybody looking for one will have enough new and used to choose from, and I think just about any of us here would rather hold on to any lenses we have unless we happen to upgrade our entire set, because any extra lenses can and just might be used when the time calls for it. And trust me, something that can go from 18 to 55 is going to be useful for at least one of your film projects, especially if you find yourself needing to shoot photography for research, design, or documentary purposes: unless you want to shell out $500+ for a better version of it.

But of course, there might be some research in place that says that a certain vintage lens of the same parameters might give you better picture if it can be attached to your camera instead. And for filmmaking, vintage lenses are often the better way to go because they are all manual and not automatic, and they are noticeably cheaper, sometimes 50% less or more. So getting earlier (1960s/70s/80s) Canon lenses can be a great choice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! I will keep it. I see a 50mm lens for $50 posted on kijiji 18 hours ago. Hopefully they still have it! Are used lenses generally a good idea?

Thanks for the tips! I will keep it. I see a 50mm lens for $50 posted on kijiji 18 hours ago. Hopefully they still have it! Are used lenses generally a good idea?

Only if they're fairly cheap, about $125 or less, and the description/listing clearly states that there's no lens scratches or problems with the lens' attachment coupling. You usually don't have to worry about the auto-focus working or not, because if the listing says it isn't working, it'll likely be cheaper, and for film you won't need that functionality anyway. So beyond those, they're a pretty damn good investment for the low-budget filmmaker.

I use a Panasonic GH4 now, which is a Micro-4/3rds camera. And the cool thing about them is that any micro-4/3rds can use really old vintage C-mount screw lenses, the kind used on Bolex film cameras. Really tiny 1-2 inch lenses that fit in your palm. They make them for security cameras now, and I bought three that were designed and packaged for micro-4/3rds with an adapter right inside the box. They were small, under $50 each, fast at 1.2, 1.4, and 1.6 f-stop, and their image was a little foggy; but in a desirable, retro photograph sort of way.

Not everybody may like them, but they saved me a lot of hassle when getting the lenses I needed for my film, because they were fast and cheap. And in most cases, things don't come that way. But to me, these lenses proved fast, cheap, and good quality. So it was a done deal.

Buying used or older Nikon and Canon lenses should yield similar results, although finding used lenses with wide f-stops might be a little hard. You just have to do some research into what models of lenses can fit into modern cameras, and which ones have adapters that have been made for them. Because if not, then you'll end up with a bum lens that can't be used for anything. So just be careful about that and read descriptions and listing titles carefully.

If you're worried about the quality of your kit glass, buying a $50 lens isn't going to give you any better results. the canon kit lens comes with image stabilization which is really nice for handheld video. You won't find IS in any lenses under $200. Also, you won't get good money for the kit lens, they're a dime a dozen. Better to just keep it and shell out an extra $50 to get the lens you're talking about. If you don't like it, $50 bucks is a tiny investment in the grand scheme of your filmmaking career.

Hey everyone. I'm not looking for anything crazy, just filming people in a room, or a small park sized area max.

If you are shooting with the kit lens in a dim room or without windows, you might need lights. The fstop on that kit lens is 4 or something?

It's good enough for what you seem to be trying to achieve. a very rough guide for judging a lense is the f stop. The lower the number, the better ($) the lens.

The thing is, I would have bought the body only and bought a different lens (but it would be more $$$). You can always get adaptors/mounts and find good cheap old glass, but it won't be great for autofocus when taking photos. it can't talk to the camera...

Only if they're fairly cheap, about $125 or less, and the description/listing clearly states that there's no lens scratches or problems with the lens' attachment coupling. You usually don't have to worry about the auto-focus working or not, because if the listing says it isn't working, it'll likely be cheaper, and for film you won't need that functionality anyway. So beyond those, they're a pretty damn good investment for the low-budget filmmaker.

I use a Panasonic GH4 now, which is a Micro-4/3rds camera. And the cool thing about them is that any micro-4/3rds can use really old vintage C-mount screw lenses, the kind used on Bolex film cameras. Really tiny 1-2 inch lenses that fit in your palm. They make them for security cameras now, and I bought three that were designed and packaged for micro-4/3rds with an adapter right inside the box. They were small, under $50 each, fast at 1.2, 1.4, and 1.6 f-stop, and their image was a little foggy; but in a desirable, retro photograph sort of way.

Not everybody may like them, but they saved me a lot of hassle when getting the lenses I needed for my film, because they were fast and cheap. And in most cases, things don't come that way. But to me, these lenses proved fast, cheap, and good quality. So it was a done deal.

Buying used or older Nikon and Canon lenses should yield similar results, although finding used lenses with wide f-stops might be a little hard. You just have to do some research into what models of lenses can fit into modern cameras, and which ones have adapters that have been made for them. Because if not, then you'll end up with a bum lens that can't be used for anything. So just be careful about that and read descriptions and listing titles carefully.

Wow, I didn't think it was that complicated but I guess it can be depending on what kind of look you're going for. I think the retro look is desirable and I'm still kicking myself for not utilizing my old camera my uncle gave me back in the day.

If you're worried about the quality of your kit glass, buying a $50 lens isn't going to give you any better results. the canon kit lens comes with image stabilization which is really nice for handheld video. You won't find IS in any lenses under $200. Also, you won't get good money for the kit lens, they're a dime a dozen. Better to just keep it and shell out an extra $50 to get the lens you're talking about. If you don't like it, $50 bucks is a tiny investment in the grand scheme of your filmmaking career.

Well the lens that's being sold is the Canon 50mm f1.8 II. It's being sold for 60% so it's seems like a pretty good deal to me. That being said, I am quite a novice on these types of things. There should be a book, The Staples of Filmmaking. That would be terrific. Even just an article would be good. Is there a such thread here?

If you are shooting with the kit lens in a dim room or without windows, you might need lights. The fstop on that kit lens is 4 or something?

It's good enough for what you seem to be trying to achieve. a very rough guide for judging a lense is the f stop. The lower the number, the better ($) the lens.

The thing is, I would have bought the body only and bought a different lens (but it would be more $$$). You can always get adaptors/mounts and find good cheap old glass, but it won't be great for autofocus when taking photos. it can't talk to the camera...

I'm not firm on where I'm going to shoot yet, but I can probably find somewhere with good natural light, until I have the space and money saved up for cheap lighting equipment. Before I get that, I'm going to get a $200 tripod and $250 worth of audio equipment, then I'm thinking of a new lens and after all that I'll probably be thinking of lighting more.

I would've got the body only, but I think I got a really good deal. I got the t5i, the 18-55mm lens, an extra battery, some camera attachments and a camera bag for only $600. Plus it's only 6 months old and I still have 6 months left on the warranty. The guy was selling because he really wanted the t6i as it came out just after he bought his camera. I feel like I lucked out!

Well the lens that's being sold is the Canon 50mm f1.8 II. It's being sold for 60% so it's seems like a pretty good deal to me. That being said, I am quite a novice on these types of things. There should be a book, The Staples of Filmmaking. That would be terrific. Even just an article would be good. Is there a such thread here?

The whole internet is open to you, and there are plenty of articles around the subject of lenses and lens selection, both with budget conscious choices, and vintage as well as modern options. You just have to give a few keywords and phrases a try in the search engine.

There will never be a definitive book that provides a catch-all approach to anything a filmmaker could need. I've never once seen a book that lays out all of the possible things that an Indie Filmmaker could need, and one that does it in a comfortable, non-obtuse way. But online articles on an individual basis are much more likely to give you such a resource. Many youtube videos as well.

Oh trust me, that has been my life. Especially when I'm on the verge of a big purchase, I'll research from weeks to months before I determine which item is the best option for me. Nowadays I feel like we have everything a bit too easy, but I shouldn't really complain about that.

Is this baffling to you? I think anything can be discussed at length. Why not? One persons common knowledge is anothers new information. That's all.

haha burn :P

Alright so I heard back from the guy selling the Canon 50mm f1.8 II lens. He said this:

Hi, I'm still selling the 50mm f1.8 lens. 60% new means that I have been own this lens for 5 years. But I barely used it in the past 2 years. This lens was protected well, no wear, no tear, no scratches. The only faded part in the label on the lens hood. The pictures that you have seen on Kijiji were taken a few days ago.

Does this seem like a good deal for $50? I'm really in the dark when it comes to the longevity of lenses.

Doing some quick research it seems like as long as they are handled properly they can last for decades, and it seems like this guy really has taken care of it.

$_35.JPG

$_35.JPG

Last edited:
Doing some quick research it seems like as long as they are handled properly they can last for decades, and it seems like this guy really has taken care of it.

That's true for about 100% of the things (including camera lenses) that you buy used. Some profound insights here.

Back