Should I quit my day job in the hope of becoming a filmmaker?!

Hey Indies!

This is obviously my first thread here and it the first Filmmaking forum I ever joint..

Let me first tell u my story with films!

I studied Business Administration and Marketing and now studying Master in computer science and working in the field of marketing and customer relationship...

Just a year ago (am 27 now) I discovered my passion in cinema and filmmaking! I was late in that maybe because they don't give theater classes in schools my country!

Now that I discovered where my passion is I dream to come back on time to study Media/communication/filmmaking in university and to work in that filed! am working now so its impossible to study full time for a university degree in Media.. I just dream if I had fortune one day I will quit working and go back to university to study what I like!

However scene I discovered where my passion is, I started reading books and watching videos about filmmaking and attending Workshops. We did a documentary and a short in these workshops...

My questions is:
- On what age did everyone of you discovered his passion in filmmaking?
- Did u go to film school?
- Should I quit my day job in the hope of becoming a filmmaker? I mean does it produce enough money to live?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hey dude, I think I have always known I was going to fall into film. I have been acting, writing, directing not only film but theater as well. I think theater is a great way to start. Theater is very accessible, sometimes a little easier to access then film.

To begin with theater like film you have to tell the story, create interesting characters, this is good practice.

Now, I don't think you're to old to start, and I don't think you should quit your job unless you can afford to. But remember your job can fund the continuing of workshops and making films. I am in school right now, you should look into a college that will offer what you like. It seems you have the passion for it, so just continue learning and making strides to be a filmmaker.

I don't think it's impossible for you to pursue a film-related career, and you're definitely doing it right by reading books and self-learning about the art of filmmaking.

I'm 15 and I first realized that film is what interests me three years ago. Even though I call film my most interested area, this is inclined to change over time.

Before you make huge decisions, it is important that you know the consequences (good or bad) about your actions. Otherwise, you'll be faced with regret.

My school doesn't offer a film course (I think there's one so-so video course in Gr. 12) as well, and my only source is the Internet and published material. Some classes do require video products, and on my own time, I write short film screenplays with plans to produce and direct them.

I knew I had a big interest in creative works (photography, music, film, art) etc. for a long long time (~8 years old?). I also knew that you need a lot of luck and hard work to make it in the biz, and that not everybody makes it.

So I went for chemical engineering (which I also love to do) and now I make films as a hobby (very fun and exciting hobby) while still working the day job which allows me to afford making movies; although I hope to break even soon and a little profit will allow me to splurge on future films.

I attended one workshop and did a lot of internet research. Basically you need to decided 2 things, first is what do you want to do in the movie biz;
  1. Producers
  2. Director
  3. Screenwriter
  4. Actor
  5. Sound
  6. Post-production (FX, Editor, etc)
  7. All of the above <-- thats me, although I am looking for an assistant

Second are you going to get there and at what cost?
  1. School
  2. Work & Learn
  3. Make you own
  4. Freelance
  5. Combination of the Above
I went with fund my own movies and scout around to see what help I could give fellow filmmakers so I could get experience. Not Ideal for everyone, but I have the cash to do it and its a small tight-knit film/theater community where I live (Ottawa Canada) and its hard to get in, or off the ground floor menial tasks.

I knew I had a big interest in creative works (photography, music, film, art) etc. for a long long time (~8 years old?). I also knew that you need a lot of luck and hard work to make it in the biz, and that not everybody makes it.

So I went for chemical engineering (which I also love to do) and now I make films as a hobby (very fun and exciting hobby) while still working the day job which allows me to afford making movies; although I hope to break even soon and a little profit will allow me to splurge on future films.

I attended one workshop and did a lot of internet research. Basically you need to decided 2 things, first is what do you want to do in the movie biz;
  1. Producers
  2. Director
  3. Screenwriter
  4. Actor
  5. Sound
  6. Post-production (FX, Editor, etc)
  7. All of the above <-- thats me, although I am looking for an assistant

Second are you going to get there and at what cost?
  1. School
  2. Work & Learn
  3. Make you own
  4. Freelance
  5. Combination of the Above
I went with fund my own movies and scout around to see what help I could give fellow filmmakers so I could get experience. Not Ideal for everyone, but I have the cash to do it and its a small tight-knit film/theater community where I live (Ottawa Canada) and its hard to get in, or off the ground floor menial tasks.

Hey! That's me! How much is the pay? What are the benefits? I can start at 30000/year, but I'm also negotiable......:D

This thread feels like deja vu ;) (there have been a couple of similar threads lately).

In what is becoming my mantra: As someone said to me(as it applies to the indie film business), "If you're looking to get in the business to make money, you're in the wrong business-at least starting up"

What I mean by that is, if may take you a long time before you start making any money. If you go to schools, be aware that coming out of a school with an B.A in film making awesomeness (I need to find the poster who uttered that term recently), the first thing you may be asked is "what's your experience in film outside of school?"

And Graeme makes an excellent point-find out what it is in film you want to do. The first/best way to do that-get out and shoot(another mantra-in training for me) and edit and see what you like doing best about the process (for me it's filming and editing).

Finally, there is no "one" way to go about things, people here have taken a lot of paths to get to where they are (wherever that is).

And welcome to the boards :)

I personally feel quitting a day job is not a feasible idea ,but they are many
who juggle being a mamma , holding a job and also writing . I feel you can keep weekends for your passion and once you have enough money you can quit .
personally I am having a tough time I do not have the dough for paying a script doctor . This is my personal view .
padma

I personally feel quitting a day job is not a feasible idea ,but they are many
who juggle being a mamma , holding a job and also writing . I feel you can keep weekends for your passion and once you have enough money you can quit .
personally I am having a tough time I do not have the dough for paying a script doctor . This is my personal view .
padma

I hear you. It's frustrating that I have to budget for one item a month (next month it's a mic)-all these toys I want :). I'm awaiting the "hey we think Delivery Day will be a SMASH! Here's a 10 million dollar contract!"

I might be waiting awhile....:lol:

I think a rule of thumb if you are getting into this business is you quit a dayjob for a dayjob at a studio or something of the sort and NOT for "maybe my documentary I am making by myself will get me by".

Look at it backwards:

Would you quit your job to try and go make a Grocery store chain from scratch?

(ironic this is coming from someone who didn't go to film school)

Last edited:
I didn't quit my day job to pursue my passion. I knew at an early age that this was something I wanted to do. But the dream and the reality are very different, so make darn sure you have a prospective income or else you'll be living on the streets. It's not all glamorous behind the scenes. I refused to be a starving artist, so I focused on steady income. Perhaps that was the wrong choice. Don't know yet. But I am sure not getting any younger. At least you're still in your twenties. I'm 41 going on 42 and am still working towards it.

Have a fall back plan. Don't jump without a parachute.

^
Wait,

You mean,

You can't just go down to Hollywood and say you're an actor or director and get jobs magically and attend that year's oscars? It's not as simple as that?

You can use your current skills - Business Administration and Marketing and ... computer science - to slip in sideways. Administration and computer science skills can get you work in a post house. Check this out:

http://www.2-popforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180

There are jobs for folks to maintain work flow and the machines listed occasionally.

Marketing is another avenue.

By applying your current skills in the entertainment industry you will make lots of contacts. Do your own stuff in your free time and when you are ready you will have people to whom you can show your work.

^
Wait,

You mean,

You can't just go down to Hollywood and say you're an actor or director and get jobs magically and attend that year's oscars? It's not as simple as that?

Only in the movies. :lol:

Unless you know someone. The days of walking on the lot and hanging your name on a trailer are long gone.

Well at least some people still think that's the case. If they didn't this town wouldn't have as many waiters/waitresses.

If you already know marketing and sales, this is probably the most important skill for getting a Return On Investment. New outlets for distributing your work seem to emerge every day.

So assuming you do good work in your spare time and then apply your marketing skills to build a profitable following, you can eventually make money making movies.

Once you get some passive income flowing, then the idea of quitting your day job makes more sense.

Back