Shotgun Microphones.

How good are they?

The camera I am getting comes with a detachable shotgun mic and I was wondering if this would be good enough to capture dialogue? Especially outside and inside a moving car. Or would you suggest an additional sort of mic?

Thanks in advance :)

I think that's very difficult to say without seeing the specifications for the camera/mic combo...

I've never heard of a camera with a detachable shotgun mic (I might be mistaken and this could be very common) so, for my own sake, I'd be curious to know what model this is... ?

I think that's very difficult to say without seeing the specifications for the camera/mic combo...

I've never heard of a camera with a detachable shotgun mic (I might be mistaken and this could be very common) so, for my own sake, I'd be curious to know what model this is... ?

My Canon XL1s has a detachable stereo directional microphone. Looks like a mini shotgun. I could easily mount a different shotgun mic on it with XLR if I wanted to.

How good are shotgun microphones? When a carefully selected shotgun mic is used by an experienced boom-op the results can be excellent.

Camera mounted microphones do not yield the best results when capturing dialog, and shotguns mounted on the camera are worse than camera mounted cardioids. The best production sound is captured when the mic proper to the situation is mounted on a boom-pole and "swung" by an experienced boom-op.

There are many techniques that could be used to capture dialog in a vehicle, and hidden mics is one often used technique, as is lavs on the talent.

What you have to keep in mind is that you need to have the mic pointed at the mouth of the talent at all times - that is the challenge of capturing solid production dialog. You make due with what you have - I understand that - but there are very good reasons for accepted practices and using professional gear. You have to understand that not using the correct equipment and not following accepted practices may yield extremely substandard results.

You can even use wired Lav mics which are cheap since your talent will not be moving. I know Alcove will cringe, but well placed mics can get passable sound even if they are cheap. I got one from Radio Shack for mebbe $20

Any Mic close to the subject would be better than an on camera solution... the caveat is that you'll need a cable long enough to get the mic closer to the subject and if it's not an XLR cable, it turns into a HUGE rf antenna for introducing any rf noise that exists in the location... This is a good solution if you're outdoors (very little rf noise) or in a setting where there are no fluorescents or electric motors (refrigerators or air conditioning).

I know Alcove will cringe...

racelogo_smiley_cringe.png

Back