Shotgun/boom mic for under 200?

What I have been recording is an artist and using a lav. However on occasion he turns his head and thus the voice fades off for a moment.
I want a separate mic to use to pickup any sound that was lost while using the lav.
I was thinking of a shotgun mic that I can either connect to my camera using a beachtek - and I could hook the lav up to this as well...or hooking up a mic on a boompole and hanging it over the artist...which I don't know if that would be okay (but I haven't tried it so I don't know)

So many mic's out there but I don't want to spend a load of money. I was looking for something pretty decent for around and under 200. In time I would love to invest in a grand mic but not now.

Thanks.

K

Do you care if the (lav) mic is seen? How about a headset? Just attach the lav to the headset boom.

792271095_260.jpg

About $60.

I guess I could use two lav mics then? one attached and one hanging .... ?

I don't know if the boom would be seen...if I put it on the other side of the camera one....but basically, I do not want any mic's or cameras seen.

Rode NTG2 is a good mic that you could position just outside the frame. Alternatively wire him up with two Lavs, one in the normal position and then another where he'll be moving his head to.

Why not?????

I think that seeing cameras set up on tripods and boom mic's hanging down give the illusion away. I want it too look like this artist is outside by himself at sunrise...give the 'audience' (if there is an audience, this is for local access tv) the feeling they are there with him...the cameras and mic's take that away...at least in my opinion...

Rode NTG2 is a good mic that you could position just outside the frame. Alternatively wire him up with two Lavs, one in the normal position and then another where he'll be moving his head to.

Thanks. I will check that out.

The wireless lav I used was really quite good. But for when he turned his head...and it also picked up the cars that were driving by. The artist was speaking most of the time and the cars were in the background...but they are heard.

The next time though we are going to a location with minimum traffic...I hope.

My solution...

Pearstone OLM-10 Wired Mic connected to a Zoom H1 on the subject (yes the audio is a bit boomy but you can drop that in post pretty easily).

Cost - $20LAV + $100Recorder

Tada problem solved with $80 to spare, and if you have pluraleyes 3 to sync the sound to the camera, your golden.

Really Bad Example (first time using it and Brian has a normally deep voice) - https://vimeo.com/58343215 @ 3:08 - Guy handing out tickets had this set-up on him. Rode Stereo Pro mic on the camera.

Last edited:
Hi kazze - In my view, the simplest solution is the shotgun with an inexpensive boom and shock mount. I bought a used Audio Technica AT835b (predecessor to the 8035) on eBay for $75 and it works great. There is one up for auction at $99 right now, but if you keep looking, you can get one for less.

If you're outdoors, you'll need a $45 windscreen to go with it.

I have my AT835b in a $25 Campro deluxe shock mount on the camera (see image below), but you will want something like this inexpensive $49 Rode boom to hold the mic closer to the subject.

P1110864.JPG

I use the camera's preamps, and plug the mic directly into the camera with a $19 Hosa MIT156 line matching transformer. It works for me, but you probably want a Beachtek or a JuicedLink.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Last edited:
Back