Shot List???

Hi all...

I have a feature screenplay written and a lot of the pre-production done. Actually, I think I'm almost ready to start shooting! Exciting times ahead!

Anyway, I've written what I'm calling a "shotlist". I've seen this sort of thing reffered to as a "shooting script", but to me, a shooting script is an expanded version of the screenplay. My "shotlist" is a spreadsheet.

Anyway, here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&srcid=0B0JSikPfIsCkNFhsY3YtSmlGZ00

What I want to know is, is what I've done what most people call a "shooting script"? Do others use a list similar to mine? Do I need what I call a "shooting script" as well as my shotlist?

Also, for either a shooting script or shotlist, have I gone into enough detail? Should I be including cut-aways? Should I be referencing every single frame, even if it's just two sides of a conversation, for example?

I'm sure there's no right or wrong way with this, just so long as the film gets made in most efficient way possible. But I want to know what others do and how they do it. Plus, I'm preferably looking to stick to the most commonly used practices.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers!

Ah ok!

I'm really struggling with where to start with this short.I love the concept and I'm shooting at home so can't wait to start, but I just can't work out how to write it when it has no dialog.

Perhaps consider an AV script:
images

Or, you could write it as a traditional script, just with all big print.

Or, you could simply create a list of shots.

It's up to you - whatever works best/easiest for you.

Foggy said:
Thanks for that Jay.I have "Legs" I guess then.A Velbon dv7000 which thus far has been perfectly adequate.

The 'legs' are specifically the part below the head. A 'head + legs' is the head on top of the legs. If you have a head attached to your legs, then you have a tripod.

They're referred to as 'legs' is because you generally have one head, and multiple sets of legs (i.e. high and low/baby). It's all really semantics - essentially, 'legs', 'sticks' and a tripod are more or less the same thing.
Also, you can buy the parts seperately, even at a low budget level, so you could technically buy Sachtler legs and put a Velbon head on it.

Last edited:
Back