Short versus Feature length

If the point of my movie at film festivals is to attract attention and potentially awards and future financing, what is the difference between a short and a feature length film? Obviously I can make the short much faster and cheaper. But will it open the same doors and impress as well? Can I enter the same festivals with a short?
I have ideas for a feature and a short and not sure which way to go.
Thanks for any advice.
Catalina

The big problem with IMAX is that although it gives the illusion of 3D, the cameras still use lens technology. This means that the images have depth of field and the focus goes soft away from the focal points. On a 2D image that isn't a problem, the eye is used to that, but in psuedo 3D, as the eye flicks around the images, in the same way it would a real room, it tries to pull the soft "out of focus" areas into focus. It can't, because it's not the eye that's wrong, it's the image. The end result is a headache.

Are you speaking about all IMAX films or just those that are advertised as 3D? You know the ones that use two projectors and those funky glasses.

you say this as if there are options. what other means/theories are there for capturing an image?

There are. Prior to lenses being used, pin hole cameras were used to create images without using a lens. The images created had perfect focus across the entire image, because depth of field is created by the curvature of the lens.

As an amatuer photographer I should have thought of that. I guess I was thinking forwards, oh well. Plus I have always had a problem getting my mind around the smaller the apeture the larger the depth of field thing. Don't get me wrong I know why that works. I understand the concept, I've seen the diagrams, its just that the concept has always seemed counterintuitive. Based on other threads I have read here, I am not the only one having trouble with that idea.

Than again maybe it is just me. I have always had a problem with the "righty tighty, lefty loosey" thing too. Every time I grab a screwdriver that becomes my mantra.:rolleyes:

I have never played with a pinhole camara. Other then the lighting issue, would it even be possible to use a non-lense camara with such a large formate?

Back