• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Short story to script

I was wondering if I can get some pointers to change a short story into a feature length script. It is a story I wrote personally and am unsure of how to make it into a script.

I was wondering if I can get some pointers to change a short story into a feature length script. It is a story I wrote personally and am unsure of how to make it into a script.

i would have thought going from a short story to a feature length script might be stretching out the source material a little too thinly?

otherwise i guess it's the same as always... identify your key scenes, your conflict, the key incidents, the main characters etc., and work from there.

i would have thought going from a short story to a feature length script might be stretching out the source material a little too thinly?

I wouldn't say so. Taking Stephen King as a good example, a lot of his novels have been filmed and they haven't always been that great. Often there isn't enough time in a 90 minute movie to fit in all the details and intricacies of the novel. Some of his better films are actually taken from short stories or novellas. Shawshank Redemption, The Mist and Children Of The Corn are the first that spring to mind.

Is the short story A) a condensed mini-version of the entire feature length film you envision, or B) an opening scene or sequence for the entire feature length film?

Depending upon which of these, or something else, you have determines where the feature length screenplay gets fleshed out.

Also, is this for you to produce and direct -or- a spec. script to market to an agent to market to a producer/director?

I wouldn't say so. Taking Stephen King as a good example, a lot of his novels have been filmed and they haven't always been that great. Often there isn't enough time in a 90 minute movie to fit in all the details and intricacies of the novel. Some of his better films are actually taken from short stories or novellas. Shawshank Redemption, The Mist and Children Of The Corn are the first that spring to mind.

I know what you mean, and I don't disagree it can be done. However, short stories are often quite restricted in terms of scope (setting, characters, plot); perhaps too much so to fill out a feature. And, as you say, the opposite can be true for novels, where knowing just what to cut out of the adaptation is often the problem (I'm looking at you, Peter Jackson...).

So really, I'd say it depends on the story, although ultimately great characters can make any film work.

How short is "short"? Also, is the story heavy on dialog or action? Is there more story to the story? Many factors go into adapting source material into a film, we need more information.

Change all the verbs to the present tense. (eg: He enters the room, versus He entered the room). Identify the scenes(places where you set your story). Each time your characters enter a new area, use a slugline. Specify in it if the place is interior or exterior(INT/EXT), name the place, then state the time(DAY, NIGHT). Use a screenwriting software. Insert the dialogue as it is. If one of your characters has more than 3-4 lines of dialogue, see if you can rephrase what they're saying or use subtext. You can do this during a rewrite. If there are instances where you reveal what your characters think(eg: " She's so funny!" thought James as he finished his glass), cut these phrases. See how much pages you've got. A screenplay should have at least 88 pages(some say 90, others 95 is the minimum). See what you can add or cut back. The upper limit is 120.

Is the short story A) a condensed mini-version of the entire feature length film you envision, or B) an opening scene or sequence for the entire feature length film?

Depending upon which of these, or something else, you have determines where the feature length screenplay gets fleshed out.

Also, is this for you to produce and direct -or- a spec. script to market to an agent to market to a producer/director?

This short story fits into your A) scanario. I know I can flesh out some of the story I condenced in the story. Plus my short story has little to no dialoge in it so expanding the feelings there is possable. This script would be for me to produce and direct. The short story is about 6 pages long as it is. My only other problem with it is in the story it happens in the past but interconnects with "sceans" from the present. How would I adapt this feeling of back and forth and the confusion the main charactor feels in script format. Any other questions or details please let me know and I can provide them. Thanx for all the help.

Back