• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

story Short Story from Script to Film

I have a short story written a while ago. I am thinking of making a short film of it. It would be more or less a first short film. Of course, I want to keep budget as low as possible. It has 2 main characters and 5-6 supporting characters, 4 locations.
How worth is experimenting with this in the first attempt?

If possible, consider trimming the number of supporting characters to 1 or 2 and the number of locations to not more than 2. In the case of locations, consider if different parts of one building can be used for more than one location.

I think it's always worth experimenting, and a story that you already have is a good place to start. But make it as simple as you can.

Great advice!

If you want, feel free to use this short screenplay I wrote for a potential client. He wanted an example of two fair-skinned Blacks discussing their experiences with fair skin. He wanted one celebrating their 'whiteness' while the other resenting it. Admittedly, I really didn't have much to draw from as a white guy so I don't blame him for turning down my draft.

I don't have much use for it but it is something that can be filmed quite cheaply as a short comedy.

Attachments

• MULATTE.pdf
    3.9 KB · Views: 163
Back