• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Short script idea - what do you think of that?

I have an idea for a short film, something easier to shoot than my previous idea. It occurs in a daily routine in a military base. It is about a soldier fighting for justice after being falsely judged for a theft. Based on my personal experience

A badly disciplined soldier struggles to prove his innocence against his Master Sergeant after being judged him for 20 days in military prison for a theft he didn't commit.

Tomer, a badly disciplined soldier judged many times before, has been judged for 20 days for stealing a lock for his barracks room. The Master Sergeant decides it was him, because a day prior to the military court, Tomer asked him for a new lock, the Mater Sergeant refused to give him a new one, and later saw a new lock installed on Tomer's door. Tomer claims he has been given a new lock by a soldier who has been demobilized yesterday, but it doesn't help him. He fails to bring that soldier to the court as a witness, and since he is already known as a problematic soldier, the judging officer doesn't believe him.

After the court, Tomer asks for an appeal, and calls the demobilized soldier asking to arrive to the base and tell the judge he's given him the lock. That soldier refuses to arrive, but advises Tomer to go to the Master Sergeant's secretary and ask her to check whether there is a lock missing from the Master Sergeant's storage. Tomer goes to the secretary and finds out that the amount of locks is the same as it has been yesterday, which means that there was no theft. Tomer decides to tell in the appeal court, that the Master Sergeant has blamed him before even verifying that there was a theft. The Master Sergeant is already known as a reckless, inadequate and irresponsible at his duties, judged and fined many times as a punishment, and that this time he is very likely to be fired from the army.

However, Tomer overhears the Master Sergeant's phone talk with his wife and his child, that he has done a mistake, and is probably going to be fired after Tomer's appeal court. Out of the conversation Tomer learns, that the Master Sergeant's financial conditions are very bad, and that there are going to become homeless for not paying the rent.

At the appeal court, Tomer sees the Master Sergeant pale and terrified. When the time comes for Tomer to put the final statement - prove his innocence and make the Master Sergeant pay for his deeds, Tomer suddenly tells that he is indeed the thief, thus agreeing to go to military prison for 20 days, saving the Master Sergeant from being fired and staying without a home.

It makes little sense that without a missing lock he would be charged with a crime.

Maybe your legal system is different.

Your question is - why should he be charged with a crime, before the Master Sergeant checks that a lock is missing from his storage? Am I correct? Assuming it is indeed the question, then yes, blaming someone without checking the facts is a common thing, especially when it comes to a fresh officer/sergeant. And this is something based on my personal experience - yes, I was charged with a theft when nothing was stolen.

The legal system in the army is different from the legal system of the country. In the army, if you are a recruit soldier, when a higher ranking duty blames you for something, you are guilty by default, unless you prove you are not.

20 days doesn't seem like high enough stakes.

What I meant to show is that the stake is not going to army prison, but the justice. I believe nobody would like to be jailed for something he didn't do, not even for 1 day. A matter of principle. So the protagonist fights not for not going to jail, but for restoring justice.

Back