• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch [SHORT] Found

Sup guys!

This is the first thing I've posted here (besides saying hello in the welcome board) and it's probably my... third or fourth short that I've really put effort into. I've been passionate about film for many years, but with high school and now real life and such... It's been difficult, but I keep practicing. This is, I think, the first project I've done that I've felt comfortable saying, "I'm proud of this", to people.

The link to it is below, but FIRST. NOTE: TRY TO AVOID READING THE DESCRIPTION FIRST. I want to see what people's interpretation of it is versus my intended meaning of it is. Thanks :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2DP32qfaJs

I'd really love to hear all criticism and feedback you have.

-Dakota

It was alright. I'm still lost though.
I didn't get the message. There wasn't really a story there. I avoided reading the description until after like you asked above, but honestly nothing happened there that would tell me this is a spiritual journey of sorts.
2 minutes in we get a sick little burning man effect - kudos on that. Did not see that coming.

Maybe if you opened with a quote or something we can grapple onto before frolicking through the woods for four minutes? That might give it more impact.

For any aspiring filmmaker - story is the most important element of film - and every last shot of action needs to move the story forward in some way, shape, or form. otherwise we will just continue to be lost.

Wow! Dang. A quote at the beginning would have been fantastic... Thank you. You're right... Story is the most important thing. As an aspiring filmmaker, I've developed the technical skill quite a bit, but I haven't done much work on storytelling. Also, I've noticed from friends' and coworkers' responses that people who share my beliefs understand the meaning easily without reading the description, but those that don't have a much harder time. Which is very interesting to me... Thanks for your answer!

Technically speaking, any thoughts? look, shots, music, etc? And thanks man. I had fun with that burning man.

Nice short! I really liked the cinematography, the burning man, and the music. But I think it could have been shorter (or more could have been going on). The story isn't moving forward much. My interpretation of it was that life is like a journey through a forest. Sometimes dark and frightening, but also beautiful and enjoyable.

Thanks for the reply man! I can see what people are saying about the story... I know I need to work on that, but I'm glad you liked the style and such! (:

Thanks for watching! I also really like your interpretation of it. Cool stuff.

Last edited:
There's a lot of good technique in this.
The SFX are fairly well done.

Without reading the "About" description there's a fair bit of randomness to this.
  1. Kid wakes up in the forest
  2. Discovers a map in his pocket
  3. Gets frustrated easily
  4. Throws it away
  5. Boogey man
  6. Run run run
  7. Fall to his knees
  8. Deux ex machina (LITERALLY!) - Pop! He's in a field
  9. Magic map is there
  10. Magic map seems to have some new powers that weren't there before. Hmm...
  11. Tra la la la la into the happy sunset he goes
Umm... Okay. :hmm:

Now, the description does make a good deal more sense of it, but then the whole thing gets pretty heavy handed and pretty much preaches to the choir.

I don't think your basic atheist or agnostic would watch this, have an Acts 9:18 event, slap his/herself on the forehead and exclaim "WTH was I thinking before I saw this?!"

A lot of the handheld of the shaky-cam was a bit too much, but you have a general shot composition and feeling about this much like Gareth Edward's 'Factory Farmed'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvZ2GTGyE8s

Your camera work could be compared to worse. ;)

And last, probably just a personal peeve preference of mine, but I really don't care for these 0% environment audio shorts that are 100% dependent upon soundtracks.
Ugh.
Next time consider just a very attenuated environment audio beneath the soundtrack, like this recent Apple ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoVW62mwSQQ

GL!

Thanks and thanks!

Haha, yup, this seems to be the general consensus: confusion; however, people that share my beliefs understand it easily and instantly. So, I'd say preaching to the choir is an accurate phrase.

And no. I don't think anyone outside of these beliefs will be turned, stirred, or even remotely intrigued by this, but that wasn't my intention. Just because others and I have these beliefs, doesn't mean we always remember everything we should. I know some people who have watched this and thanked me for the reminder it's given them. (Of course I would have loved to portray the story accurately to all viewers, but you live and learn, right?)

Really? Interesting, most people I've talked to actually appreciate the shaky cam, but thanks. I appreciate unique criticisms.

And on the audio note, you're right. I don't like that either. (Even though I made one :P ) but I unfortunately didn't get the audio I needed, and I couldn't find any good tracks online either. This is a case of poor planning on my part... (Which is usually what happens in such quick shoots)

Thanks a ton for your reply! I love hearing "reviews" from people who have the same passion as myself.

Thanks and thanks!

Haha, yup, this seems to be the general consensus: confusion; however, people that share my beliefs understand it easily and instantly. So, I'd say preaching to the choir is an accurate phrase.

And no. I don't think anyone outside of these beliefs will be turned, stirred, or even remotely intrigued by this, but that wasn't my intention. Just because others and I have these beliefs, doesn't mean we always remember everything we should. I know some people who have watched this and thanked me for the reminder it's given them. (Of course I would have loved to portray the story accurately to all viewers, but you live and learn, right?)

I think it is an interesting, experimental short. I don't know if you need the God's plan thing though. It seems like the kind of thing that should be left open for the audience's interpretation. But it's your film, your choice :D

You're right, people outside of these beliefs probably won't be turned or stirred. I don't share the same beliefs as you, but I was entertained and intrigued.

I'd definitely say experimental is the right word... In hindsight at least ;P

You're right, I don't NEED the God's plan thing in there, but it was my direct intention behind the story of the film. So I felt like it was something I should broadcast. :)

I'm glad you were still interested by it cinematically. That right there is enough reason for me to keep doing what I do!

Back