• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Short Film Shot In 6 Hours - film student looking for feedback

Hello all,
My name is Alex Kumph, I am an 18 y/o filmmaker, I’ve been making films since I was 9, and have had the goal since then of becoming a successful feature film and commercial director. I am currently located in Burbank CA, pursuing this.

Shot on:
Sony SF5(indoor shots and silhouettes)
Canon 1DX MK II(outdoor shots)

This project was produced for a school class. I came up with the idea and wrote the script in about 4 hours, and we shot it in 6 hours. This film is obviously more of an exercise rather than an attempt to make a stellar film, and that is how I approached it. It made me realize that most of the time I spend working on personal projects are on pointless shit that only I notice. I made an effort to just make a cohesive story, nothing fancy. Most of the scenes are naturally lit. The exceptions are Arri lights bouncing off the white ceiling or taping my apartment lamps to the fan over my dining room table.

One of my main goals lately has been to not touch the camera at all. Most of my time making films I have been the director, writer, and cinematographer. I am trying to teach myself to direct without doing everything else myself. The experience was great, and my great cinematographers nailed it, I touched the camera only a few times, or to help change lenses.

The SF5 and Arri lights were provided by my school, the Canon 1Dx was one of my cinematographer’s personal cameras. I spent $50, food, props, and tape.

Thank you for taking the time to check out my film and reading this post. If you have any feedback, questions, or comments of any kind, I would love to hear them.

-Alex Kumph

The shots look great. But your digital zooming in certain shots distracts me for some reason. You've got some beautiful framing and really nice compositions, but you might want to disregard the whole "motion in every shot" template. It does you an injustice to your style.

Not really a dis or bad thing, just something that stood out to me watching a couple of your vids.

BUT, that said, really cool story and action. I love black and white films too!

The shots look great. But your digital zooming in certain shots distracts me for some reason. You've got some beautiful framing and really nice compositions, but you might want to disregard the whole "motion in every shot" template. It does you an injustice to your style.

Not really a dis or bad thing, just something that stood out to me watching a couple of your vids.

BUT, that said, really cool story and action. I love black and white films too!
Thank you for the feedback! I definitely overdid it with a few of the digital zooms. The ones on the shots of the window silhouettes I felt were necessary to emphasis the shot.

France/Europe. Perhaps someone else from this side of the Atlantic can indicate how extensive the geo-blocking is.
This is where it is blocked:
St. Martin, Monaco, Wallis & Futuna, Mayotte, New Caledonia, St. Pierre & Miquelon, St. Barthélemy, Andorra, Martinique, France, Guadeloupe, Réunion, French Polynesia, French Guiana
It's because of the music I used.

Back