• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Short Film - My Ball

Heres a short I plan to shoot soon

My Ball - A film about a man and his relationship with his ball

suggestions/comments welcome

click here to view

comments about script below

I got the idea for this when I was trying to come up with idea for no budget shorts and i mean not a cent, so the brief was pretty much all exterior locations with little or no live sound and i'm considering shooting on my K3 (hence the voice over)

the idea came to me when a saw this small ball, about the size of a tennis ball and i thought "what if" this ball was the only thing in someones life, all they had was this ball

the man is a simpleton and has no friends or family

i was going to end the film after the ball went away like sort of a metaphor for losing someone close but since all my scripts seem to have sad endings i put in the bit with him finding a new ball

What a lonely man!

Ok hes obviously a simpleton and there was a similar scene in the film Castaway when Tom Hanks was talking to a ball called Wilson. Anyway i imagine it would be an easy film to make on a shoestring budget and its nearly all visual which is a good thing if you don't speak english.

Is your leading character a bit retarded?

Last edited:
Eddie Rex said:
Ok hes obviously a simpleton and there was a similar scene in the film Castaway when Tom Hanks was talking to a ball called Wilson.

oh yeah i think i remember that

Eddie Rex said:
Anyway i imagine it would be an easy film to make on a shoestring budget and its nearly all visual which is a good thing if you don't speak english.

nothing wrong with my english ..lol ...the reason for no live sound is that i plan to shoot with my k3 16mm and you can't shoot sync sound with them... i could shoot on my DVCAM but i see it in black and white film so eh yeah! it would only take a couple of hours to shoot, don't know if i'll get in a dop yet or just shoot it myself ...that would really be all the crew needed

Eddie Rex said:
Is your leading character a bit retarded?

you could say so i guess but i'd prefer to not say so, if you know what i mean :weird:

nothing wrong with my english ..lol ...the reason for no live sound is that i plan to shoot with my k3 16mm and you can't shoot sync sound with them... i could shoot on my DVCAM but i see it in black and white film so eh yeah! it would only take a couple of hours to shoot, don't know if i'll get in a dop yet or just shoot it myself ...that would really be all the crew needed

What i meant was when you get My Ball uploaded onto the internet (or if you do) because much of its visual people in non english speaking countries can relate to it.

Back