• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Short film idea, is it any good?

So, I have a million ideas and far too many stories just sitting on my computer collecting digital dust. Today, I thought I would pick one that I thought I might be able to adapt into a short film, and share a rough overview here to get a bit of feedback. The reason being, is that I would like to enter the YouTube film festival and am curious if this is something that might be interesting to watch. This is barely scratching the surface of where I would take this story, but it might give a hint on what it's about.

Pitch:
An accident victim suffers severe head trauma and enters into a coma, he is hospitalized for nearly 2 months before regaining consciousness. Beginning a new life for himself, things never seem to return to normal. He remains in awe how being the only survivor of an accident, in which 2 others were killed instantly, he came out without a single scratch; no visible reminders of the crash proving an ordeal of any considerable magnitude ever happened.

His once loving girlfriend can't stand the sight of him. Everyone treats him differently, even people he doesn't know. People cut him off constantly mid-sentence, everyone walks faster than him and belittle him, as they would a preteen trying validate their opinions amongst a group of adults. He seemingly lives in a world with far less patience than the one he remembers. What was so different about him now that caused this subtle but bizarre change in behavior of those around him? Why was he being "tolerated" rather than accepted?

Feeling frustrated and alone, he attempts to make contact with the other victims' family. After a solemn discussion and a slight bonding between them, they start talking about the details of accident. He realizes for the first time, he never really remembered all the moments leading up to the crash. He tries earnestly to recall any last words that were spoken and how it all went down. The mother of one of the victims, brings him a folder. They start looking through a few pieces of memorabilia to jog his memory. A couple newspaper clippings, some articles of clothing and a few other slightly unnerving tokens of that fateful night.

Then, as he examines one of the pictures taken at the scene by an overhead security camera in the area, he starts to choke up and the hair on the back of his neck raises. He sees himself, lying on the ground; a clear shot of his face showing a gruesome disfigurement. His left jawline looked to have been completely crushed in, with severe second and third degree burns running up along the right side of his face. Unable to look away, he starts to panic, his mouth going dry and his vision narrowing he drops the picture.

He's able to engage all of these people around him, with zero mention of the hospital staff and his own physician(s), and no one at all mentions that his face has been severely injured?

And his family and friends are so shallow they can't get beyond his physical appearance?

Hmm...

I was hoping for "Everyone shuns him because it was his fault the accident in which two others were killed happened".
Even still...

IMO, the story needs more story, like he learns he was committing a crime (bank robbery) when he killed two people evading police.

GL

What it's really about, is the protagonist who essentially shuts out reality and lives in a dream world where the accident never brought about any life altering consequences. He does engage with people, and does find himself in scenarios where he momentarily has to accept what has happened. But until he's ready, he can't actually face the truth, and continues to hallucinate within a fantasy. In reality, he's actually a cripple, speech impaired and physically disfigured from the accident.

The story will attempt to show him as he confronts his disabilities in situations which reveal the truth.

The idea was originally adapted from a true story of a person who was speech impaired and physically disabled but didn't know it until he heard himself on an audio recording for the first time. In his mind, he spoke and moved about just like anyone else until he could view himself externally.

How short is this short going to be?

And it's not got much "Oooo! Ahhhh!" to it.
Not too many viewers are gonna wanna sit through a 20+min baggy bag-fest of some delusional fellow.

Where's the entertaaaaainment?

What I got out of reading it was that he wasn't actually alive, that he actually died in the crash as well, but didn't realize it...and evidently, nobody else did, either. And maybe the interaction he thinks he's getting with people is also imagined.

The idea was originally adapted from a true story of a person who was speech impaired and physically disabled but didn't know it until he heard himself on an audio recording for the first time. In his mind, he spoke and moved about just like anyone else until he could view himself externally.

IMO: I would figure if this is some kind of reflection of true events, you'd want to be respectful to that and not turn it into a hook but rather, explore the source and try to recreate this unique experience in a way that would resonate with both the sufferer and the general audience. Not necessarily recreating the original story, but using the idea to say what it is you want to say about this experience. There is certainly a lot you could say with something like this, about life, about hardship, about the mind, about our experiences, just to name a few things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was that how you were viewing it?

In fairness, inspirational stories don't have to be of blockbuster luster. "Flowers for Algernon", "Brian's Song", etc. follow individuals who shine for a time then fade. I agree with Keir that these kind of movies require very rich characterizations of relationships and changes over time.

Your original presentation, using flashbacks, makes it very non-linear which I think would really distract from an inspirational narrative. And I confess, when you gave your reveal, I found it very hard to imagine how to visually portray to the audience that this was all in his head in a believable way.

However, I also agree that bringing this to the screen could be seen as insensitive and disrespectful of people with disabilities, portraying them as unaware of their personal struggles. I know that is not your intention. I am simply saying from an activist's point of view, it could be taken as mocking.

While inspirational movies don't have to have a happy resolution, the protagonist does have to come to peace with the situation in some sense to inspire the audience. It's not about discovering the truth. If you will, that's the "second act". He finally experiences himself externally and has his "dark night of the soul". It's how he comes to grip with it ("third act") that will make the movie. I don't see that in your story idea yet. That's where you still need to put in some effort.

How can this situation be resolved so that the audience feels satisfied--happy for him and sad at the same time? Good luck.

I would normally consider myself primarily interested in science fiction as this is by far where I'm most creative. It's probably possible to develop an interesting story covering a 15 minute span, but that's just not enough for me. If I do sci fi, I'm going all out. So in this case, I'm interested in doing a 15 minute drama where right down to the last minute everyone is kind of second guessing themselves as to what is actually going on. It's not a sappy drama, filled with introspective drivel stagnating in a pool of anguish and pain; far from it, think 6th sense, Identity, A scanner darkly. More quirky and strange than anything.

Some basic concepts which govern and influence the protagonists behavior:

*Due to the accident, the ability to keep track of time like a normal person has been slightly distorted, he is moving at a much slower pace than everyone else (both physically and mentally), giving way to a pervasive strangeness and oddness that he can't quite articulate.

*Hallucinations: He only hallucinates in circumstances which protect him from from discovering what has happened to him. His mind filters out any hard facts relating to his condition (Serious meds are just asprin, mirrored reflections become nothing more than previous memories of what he once looked like, He runs but moves slower than walking speed etc, etc.

To get a basic idea of the kind of quirkiness / strangeness which might be attached to this world, think Dark City. The build up in that movie is perfect; an incredible amount of odd / unexplainable occurrences happen which make it hard to figure out anything until you've been revealed exactly what is actually going on.

At a running time of 15 minutes, generating curiosity is my main objective with a final reveal at the end. If this were an hour or more, I would take this in a completely different direction.

Last edited:
Back