• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Short fiction (comedy) "How to quit smoking"

HI,
Here is the begening of a serial: how to.
In minute and a half we explain how to do something.
A parody of the how to tutorial on a movie adaptation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN7pSnkK4-Q
Comments and critics welcome.
If you like, consider susbribing to our channel.
Thanks!

Thank you! Any idea how to improve our work? I like to see positive comments of course :) but I'm very interested in critics too. What did we screw up (I'm sur we did:)

Ok, I'll do some critique, but please note that everything I'm saying now is insanely nitpicky and a lot of which I did not notice on the first or even second time watching, really, you did an awesome job with this, I thought the acting was good, and I laughed out loud at a few moments! But here are my very nitpicky criticisms:

@ 0:48, I don't understand where the smoke is coming from on the right side of the image, is that second actor smoking during that shot?

Pacing was a bit slow, but I can understand some potential problems with that during editing because a lot of the success and humor of this comes from the slightly over the top actions and slightly goofy tone. Still yet, pacing could be quicker. Just ever so slightly, though.

@ 0:40, the smoking character is framed to the right, which is the only moment when he isn't framed to the left. Slightly distracting.

The entire thing seemed well lit, you were able to make sure that the outside wasn't overblown behind the smoking character, but in the wide @ 1:03, the color temp is a little warmer on the nonsmoking character than it is on the smoking character...

Also the audio edit could be improved. It seemed like you did a fine job capturing, but you just didn't have anyone extremely experienced editing the audio, I felt like I heard a fair bit of noise. I'm no audio editor or expert, so maybe (I'm wrong) or just read the forums about audio editing, I know Alcove Audio and AudioPostExpert have TONS of amazing information that they endlessly share.

Seriously though, awesome job. Hope my thoughts help in some minor way.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your very detailed feed back! I'm so impressed you found all mistakes we were aware of and other that we didn't noticed!
So yes, we did totally screw up the 180 rule at 0:48 which is messing up the viewer. I could say it's a way to underline how Tom is under pressure but if I'm honest it's a shooting mistake that we put in the editing anyway...
About pacing, I took note. I tried to improve it in editing but the acting part was a little too slow and I was fighting to compress the dialogues as much as possible.
@ 0:40 the smoke coming from the right side is actually the fog from actor's breath :) I was wondering at editing what bothered me on this cut... Now I know!

About grading, it was quite a mess to match close up with the rest. Using the extender of the camera is not a good idea :) Will not make the mistake 2 times!

The audio part like all no budget movies is of course one of the big weak point. I completely agree with you, it's cheap! We were not able to control noise around us during shooting and the post was a little nightmare. At the end of the day, we get a very low quality sound but we started from very worth sound. We erased quite a lot of the noise by well known method in sound editing software but we were not able to get clear sound so we added street ambiance to hide it... Well sound is one of the thing we want to improve in next movie.

Thank you so much you took time to help us! If you like our work, we would be thankful you share it and I take the occasion to say that we already shot a new one and we will release it in a little week :)

Ok, I'll do some critique, but please note that everything I'm saying now is insanely nitpicky and a lot of which I did not notice on the first or even second time watching, really, you did an awesome job with this, I thought the acting was good, and I laughed out loud at a few moments! But here are my very nitpicky criticisms:

@ 0:48, I don't understand where the smoke is coming from on the right side of the image, is that second actor smoking during that shot?

Pacing was a bit slow, but I can understand some potential problems with that during editing because a lot of the success and humor of this comes from the slightly over the top actions and slightly goofy tone. Still yet, pacing could be quicker. Just ever so slightly, though.

@ 0:40, the smoking character is framed to the right, which is the only moment when he isn't framed to the left. Slightly distracting.

The entire thing seemed well lit, you were able to make sure that the outside wasn't overblown behind the smoking character, but in the wide @ 1:03, the color temp is a little warmer on the nonsmoking character than it is on the smoking character...

Also the audio edit could be improved. It seemed like you did a fine job capturing, but you just didn't have anyone extremely experienced editing the audio, I felt like I heard a fair bit of noise. I'm no audio editor or expert, so maybe (I'm wrong) or just read the forums about audio editing, I know Alcove Audio and AudioPostExpert have TONS of amazing information that they endlessly share.

Seriously though, awesome job. Hope my thoughts help in some minor way.

I agree 100%

I liked it. The cinematography, writing, and acting very well done. Good job :)

Back