• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Short Comedy Film: There Is A Party, Everyone Is There

Pretty good :) Your actors are good which is a big help. You can tell that you had editing in mind when you shot it, but I would have cut it a little tighter (that's just me).

Nice sound work, too. I like that you distorted the voice when the person on the phone was talking but not in the shot :)

You could use some lighting design but really the lighting doesn't ruin anything to where I didn't want to watch it..

Oh and welcome to the boards!

How on earth did you get it to sound so good? Usually when I see these shorts on here or any other place the sound sounds so echoing and video camera-ish. Your short sounded like it should sound.

I thought it was quite good.

I think I agree with Dreadylocks -- you could probably lose a couple minutes of footage, and tell the same story, but with a little better of a flow. Particularly, when they get sidetracked smoking weed -- that bit could be much more brief.

That little nit-picking aside, I think you did one hell of a job. I really enjoyed watching it. Many of your jokes were timed perfectly, especially in the beginning of the movie.

For whatever my opinion's worth, I think you've got a knack for storytelling.

Libby: All it took was a boom mic and knowing where to point it, :lol:.

Dreadylocks & Cracker Funk: Thank you for watching and for the advice. You guys are probably right; it's so hard to watch it as an audience member though (obviously cause I directed it :P), so I think I'll always be unsure of what to change. As far as it goes though this is the 'full vision' of the film script, so to speak.

Hey cool! I like your film! Some great cinematography there.

I really like the shot where you see the reflection of the guy in the glass coffee table. I also really like the music in the smoking scene.

What kind of camera did you shoot it on? Was it for a competition?

I recently entered a film competition in NZ - the 48 hour film comp. We used a Canon 5d

Check out our film: http://www.themissionaryfilm.com

No actually, the film wasn't for a competition.
It was just coursework for my 2nd year of A-Level, but I wanted to make something special.
Or rather something I'd be proud of and actually want to show people, haha.

And it was a Sony V1.
Absolutely beautiful camera... :D

I loved that film so much I would try to go out with it but end up going to a party instead. Amazing cinematography. Could use some lighting, the dialogue was fantastic. Overall I give you a 9 out of 10 for a film of this caliber.

Libby: All it took was a boom mic and knowing where to point it, :lol:.

Dreadylocks & Cracker Funk: Thank you for watching and for the advice. You guys are probably right; it's so hard to watch it as an audience member though (obviously cause I directed it :P), so I think I'll always be unsure of what to change. As far as it goes though this is the 'full vision' of the film script, so to speak.

Taking notes on how important sound is. Must have boom mic. Don't like the video camera sound that most shorts have.

With that, you had to have someone else walk alongside the actors with this big ole mic hanging over their heads - ensuring not to get it within the cameras eye.

Funny little film.

I'm not wild about the IM in the beginning and it was really hard to read. Also, when I watch a movie I really want to watch it and not read (unless it's subtitled).

Lighting in the bedroom could be better. The outside light was over powering in the room. Also, the wall in the bedroom was dull, I would have moved down the posters behind him.

Shot 3:05 into 3:07 was a jump cut. BUT, like what others said above, 3:07 was a really cool shot with the reflection on the table. But as for the jump cut, the first time you did it in the beginning was fine (and effective). But this time showing it as passing of time it was not effective but more annoying. Using a prop to pass time would have been better.

Jump cut when entering the party but you hid it kind of well.

I didn't look at the images you photographed itself because I was paying attention to the story.

Story was fine.

Acting was good.

I agree with everyone else, the sound was done very well.

Also you could have tightened it up like others. I too thought the pot smoking scene could have moved faster.

In all, a good little film and keep up the good work.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice wridingrlm

stuff with lighting would've been sorted if we'd had the opportunity to use them, but as it's my first film and just something for schoolwork (and obviously being made without a budget) i think it turned out pretty well.
especially the sound, as people do point out :D

i don't quite understand what you mean about the party jump cut though, and about tightening the smoking segment, what would you change?

thanks for watching!

Last edited:
Can I ask, how hard is film A2 ? I am thinking off taking it but my school don't teach it. I am in 6ht form so I am already well into my AS so AS film is not an option. I think I could nail the corsework easily but the exam paper... is it really that hard if you've been looking at film for a good 5 years ?

If you know how to write essays well then that's a lot of the marks anyway, right?
As for studying it I always found it quite easy just because it's such an interesting topic for me. I'm the kind of guy who in class would constantly be reeling off lil tidbits and trivial things about films, or connections from one film to another etc.

Wow, that makes me sound really lame doesn't it?
I promise they were always meant to be funny add-ons to a discussion...
I swear...

But I wouldn't say it was 'Hard', provided you've got the interest in it.
I've been looking at films all my life though, just watching them and it's all gone in without me even thinking :D

Guess you've got to ask yourself how much you enjoy it?
Then just go for it!

Thanks for the reply.

I love film, definatly my passion. I think about nothing other then film. In my Hisotry, English and Maths class Film is on my mind. Spending all my prep time reading up on films, watching shorts, watcing documentires

My essay writing skills are pretty good as you can see two of my subjects has them heavily involved.

Is there any chance you could PM me a practice paper or something so I know what Im taking on.

Back