Shopping For A Laptop

Hello everyone.

I'm planning on buying a laptop. I'd be using the laptop primarily for typing Word documents, surfing the web, editing digital film footage, and watching dvds. Obviously I'm looking to pay as little as possible without compromising too much on quality. So, the foregoing needs considered, can anyone offer me some suggestions (i.e. size of hard drive needed, ram needed, processor type and speed needed, best brands, etc.)?
I talked to a Besbuy salesperson today, and she told me that film editing software only takes up about 4 gigs of space. She also told me that all laptops these days have built-in wifi. Is she right on both accounts?

Also, I'd like to take the files that are currently on my desktop, and back them up to whatever laptop I eventually wind up purchasing. But, before doing that, I'd like to clear all viruses from my desktop so that they don't get transferred to the laptop. However, I don't have any virus-removal program. Are there free, downloadable virus-removal programs that would do the job? Or, if I'll have to buy virus-removal software, what do you guys recommend?

Lastly, what kind of external hard drive do you guys recommend?

Remember: I'm only looking for what I need. Assuming that the Bestbuy salesperson I spoke to was correct about film editing software, then I shouldn't need a lot of power.

Thanks a lot.

-horseradish

For the size of film editing software it all depends on what package you go with, but I don't know why it even matters. As far as I know all modern notebooks come with wi-fi. Then for free virus scanners there are several: check out AVG and Avira.

And you do need power. Video editing is processor and memory intensive. And your external hard drive needs to be at least 7200 rpms. Avoid 5400.

If you are looking for bang for your buck, look at Dell...(At Xmas I picked up a fairly fast laptop for my brother who works in Post Production/Editing for under $500 USD shipped....)

And for an external HD, look at the Western Digital My Passport Essential 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive WDME5000TN on Amazon! Is like $115.99 shipped...and requires no additional power supply, (is powered from the USB).

So, for UNDER $650 USD, you can have a FAST up to date setup...and all you need is software to complete the package....

That is the budget shop.....

If you don't mind spending a bit more...look at the Apple MacBook MB881LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop (2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, Slot Loading SuperDrive)..... $959.00

Myself, I prefer the Mac's......more stable, and more user friendly I find when it comes to editing digital..... IMO

And for Virus Software......look at http://usa.kaspersky.com/

Of ALL the software programs I have used, this is the BEST....and you can get a free version at CNET if you want to try it before you buy....

Last edited:
Back