• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shooting the moon

What is the best way to shoot the moon whether it is a full moon or half? I always wanted tp shoot a full moon but couldn't figure out the best way to do so. The camera I have is a Sony HVR-Z1U.

I'm not sure what you are asking. You want a full frame shot of the moon, you want the moon and clouds, or you want the moon in a night scene with other subjects? All three will require different exposure and lighting situations, the latter being the most complex. Night scenes can really be helped by metering properly. And if you want true definition on the moon you will have to expose the moon slightly over and then shine a big moon light (like a 5k from the distance) or find some way to work practicals or small lights in to light the actors unless you just want silhouettes. More info would be good, a set plan would be even better.

Many thanks for the response. Actually, the first shot would be just the full moon and the second shot will perhaps have actors in it. You mention about metering, what type of meter is mostly use in this case? I have also seen some film that, I think, have a fake moon with fake skies...meaning they animate it and not the real thing. Would this method worth considering? If it is, any tuturials on how this is accomplish?

Again, thank you so much!

Sorry Im getting kind of wound up with my film. With a video camera you can shoot the first one pretty easily, just perhaps set the fram just right or left of the moon then set your exposure so you get the clouds nice in the monitor or properly calibrated LCD, then go ahead and frame in the moon and shoot. The second shot once again is going to be tough every time. The moon is reflecting sunlight so it will be bright but you will want to pull exposure much more towards your actors. You will have a tough time finding any camera that can get a good picture by only moonlight. You should consider renting a 2k at the minimum for at least 1 stop of light or a 5k at a distance ideally as you should be able to hit it with that and then if you need to tone down in post. Dont worry you will never be able to blow out the moon by lighting too much at night. So what Im saying is you could really light up a scene good in moonlight and in post you can turn it down to the point where it looks natural. And the more you do it but still hide the source by framing right, the closer the exposure of the moon and the actors will be.

I wouldn't animate it myself for fear of it looking too fake. It should be doable with an early moon or late moon shot and some decent lights (like maybe even a couple of 500w shop lights).

In film though, you are talking a different animal when you cant see what you are going to get exactly and then spot metering is the way to go, although and DP will tell you a shot like the 2nd one you are describing with actual film is among the most difficult to pull off technically.

Moon

This is an exposure issue...

If you really want to know where the Moon is...(?)... you need to take spot reading. Now ... the Spot Reading (if you follow meters recommendation) turns any measured surface to the value of 18% Grey card. Keep that in mind and overexposure for as much as you want depending on what it really is that you see in your mind as the brightness of the Moon's surface... Get familiar with the Zone System of Exposure (Ansel Adams).

You might get yourself familiar with Ansel Adams' method of Previsualization... nothing difficult provided that you are into it.

Back