Shooting on a Go Pro HD Hero 2

I am shooting a film of mine as a POV style using the go pro camera. I was told by the best buy guy that I couldnt plug a mic in to the camera. I was wondering whats a good mic to use or a mic and recorded combo. my budget is around 500.

cheers to any replies

You can plug a mic in - it has a standard 3.5mm stereo jack. I've never done it myself, and I don't think you can control the audio levels in the camera, so I'm not sure it would give you very good sound.

As for external recorders there's several decent ones in your price range - zoom h4n, tascam dr100, etc - but the mic you'll need depends a lot on what you're trying to record.

...I was told by the best buy guy that I couldnt plug a mic in to the camera...

Outdated business model, uninformed salespeople, poor service. Best Buy won't be around for long. That said, I'd only plug an external mic into a Hero to record a backup track.

For $500 you have a few options:

1. Hire someone. Go to the Creative Services section on craigslist and look for "recordist" or "audio" and interview some of the folks who turn up. If that doesn't work, put an ad up in "gigs".

2. Get a high quality 4 track recorder, a decent mic, a shock mount and a boom pole and have a buddy hold it. Sync the sound in post using pluraleyes. This is how the pros have been doing it for decades and it works.

3. Get a high quality 4 track recorder, and two solid VHF wireless mics with a couple of 3.5mm to 1/4" phono adapters for your actors/talent. Sync the sound in post. This is how I do it, and there are a few challenges (lavalier mics rubbing against clothing, distance limitations between the transmitter and the receiver), but I really like the flexibility of not having cables running all over the place.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done some work with these Gopro cameras but never used the audio on them, but how is the lens on these working for you? if you have used it yet. seemed good for the POV action shots i was going for but not sure what others think about the lens for other kinds of shots. ??

Its honestly pretty cool to use and a style you dont see too much. Just coordinating the shots is all you need to do and if you run through them a few times itll turn out great.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RODE-VideoMi...711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1750191f

how is this purchaase? is the mic and equiptment any good from personal use or anyone yoyu know?

jon - The Rode Videomic has a very good reputation. And this is a pretty good price for this combo. But the $49.95US shipping charge from Washington state to Ontario brings the total up to $249.90US, which is ridiculous. It would be less expensive to order from Adorama in New York:

Rode Videomic: $149US at Adorama

Rode micro boom: $49US at Adorama

Rode VC1 cable: $10.99US at Adorama

In your cart, Adorama will add in $31.20US for UPS Worldwide Express to Toronto, for a total of $240.19US - almost $10US less than the eBay listing.

Here is an example of how the Videomic sounds with the Hero2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1mZeFfqgn8

Hope this is helpful and good luck!

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Back