• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shooting Live Music Video

I am tasked with shooting a music video for a band that wants me to incorporate footage from their upcoming live performance. I have not shot like this before and was wondering how many cameras I would need to have enough angles to make a solid music video?

Also, should I use LED lighting fixtures on my cameras?

Any other tips from people who have done this before would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

I'm not a shooter, but have been in a few music vids and performed in concerts that were shot.

The vids were usually just a single camera, although one used three (3), if I remember correctly. They were shot in anywhere from one (1) day to six (6) days.

Concert footage will depend upon your budget. One of the shows where I performed (it was a major "oldies" revue show with about 10 bands) had about a dozen (12) cameras - I never got an exact count. I know there were four in the "pit" in front of the stage, four on-stage and more in various other places towards the back and sides of the venue. There were also a couple of full crews (camera, boom-op, wrangler) wandering about backstage recording all the old-timers and their reunions. Another show was only three (3) cameras, although they shot our same set three (3) times over the course of a long weekend.

Back