shooting in HUGE warehouse/radio studio

Big news for me guys, I have a massive ex-radio station available to film in. It consists of 8 or so small rooms, an orange kitchen, bathroom, 2 main recording rooms (complete with sound proofing and re-enforced doors) and 2 large warehouse style rooms and much more. It has wide warehouse styled windows but they face south so they don't get much light But I do have plaster walls I can demolish! :bang:

The only problem is it doesn't have electricity but I can get it within a couple of weeks and I should have until the end of the year before the studio is renovated and ready for the owners to use. I'm thinking of a possible Reservior Dogs styled film or film through the glass in the recording studios to make an interigation room. Basically i'm looking for something dark / menacing / completely crazy and it looks like I will be shooting many short films considering the time I have.

If anyone has any ideas or tips to help me get the most out of this rare opportunity (I am open to the craziest ideas imaginable) I will sell you my soul :contract:

Last edited:
Have you got a politican over there who having fallen from power in a sleazy scandal is now just a cheap media whore
Like all capitalist countries we have our dodgy politicians( :( ) but one particular media whore who would make a great cowering 'hobo' inhabiting a lifeless dungeon is Douglas Wood.

I don't know if he is a big story in America but basically he is an Australian (but lives in the US) who was captured by iraqi 'criminals' but set free after 40 days or so. Anyway he has now sold his story to an Australian tv station and I feel he would be an easy target despite his trauma :lol:. Plenty of press clippings for him anyway... I like the idea of no dialogue like La Dernier Combat. I havn't seen it yet but I will keep an eye out for it.

...can't say that I've heard of him, Lux. In the U.S. we seem to be more preoccupied with each others sex lives...(well, not entirely, but enough to get on your nerves)...

--spinner :cool:

Ha I see how it is. I guess i'm being a little hard on poor Douglas. His exclusive story was just aired on tv and despite the soppy music and bad interviewing, I actually feel sorry for him (though he would still make a great extra...)

lux said:
I don't know if he is a big story in America but basically he is an Australian (but lives in the US) who was captured by iraqi 'criminals' but set free after 40 days or so. Anyway he has now sold his story to an Australian tv station and I feel he would be an easy target despite his trauma .

...seems to me he's a lucky politician, questionable or otherwise. I don't think I know of one incident where a person held by 'Iraqi criminals' has ever lived to tell the tale... Over here, what we get is video of how someone will be killed after so many days or hours. Usually the person is reading something with two masked men with guns standing on either side. And then the next thing we know, we're seeing the persons family preparing for funeral services.... its sad, really....

--spinner :cool:

Same sort of thing in this case except he survived. Can't say the same about some of his fellow captors.... At least you havn't been getting any of those filmed beheadings like you did a while back. Not much you can say about it really.

A couple of days ago I had another look in the warehouse, got the blueprint but i'm still thinking of an idea...

I have finally come up with the concept for my short film:) but I have one question which could affect the idea I have. I know it's a bit of a cliché, but i'm looking at doing that lightning-strikes,wall-is-illuminated-showing-writing affect you see in horror films. Thing is I will be filming with natural daylight and I am yet to perfect my 'call of the gods' to create spontaneous thunder and lightning. Am I being realistic? Could I possibly use a photography studio light to create the lightning flash?

Hey Spinner, sorry I havn't been around much lately, things have been really busy. Bad news is that I didn't end up using the warehouse for my short film for a number of reasons, but the film I shot instead turned out well. It won an Achievment award at my HIgh School and I am sending a copy to a short film festival in Melbourne this week. I'll put the film up once I get a website sorted out.

Sorry for the anti-climax with this warehouse idea:P

Bummer 'bout the warehouse. If you're looking for a site host, I recommend servage.net. They've got one of the best deals I've seen on the internet and in the 2 years they've hosted my site, it's been down maybe half a day total. Really reliable and good customer service too.

Lol. "Airheads". That brought back memories.

"I was the member of my high school chess club. I used to eat my boogers. I used to play Dungeons and Dragons."
"Hey, I played D&D too!"
"I was the editor of my high school newspaper!"
"I used to masturbate...constantly!"

I like the Zombie idea, for sure! I can see 2 windows in that one hallway.. guy is in one room, girl in the other, and they can see eachother, separated by 5 feet of a zombie infested hallway.

Also, I have storage space if ye be need'n any. Send me a PM with how large the file is and I'll set you up with space on one of my servers.

Man has to be a huge action film... Assault On Pr. 13 kinda deal. We had an idea along these lines to take that set up and expand it. But seriously you have the ideal location to do some kick arse stalking, hunting and fighting.

If it was in teh UK I'd be begging you to use it!

Thanks CootDog, that would be really great. I'm in a little spot of trouble at the moment, I burnt a few copies on dvd and forgot to make a mpg file on the comp :S I'll try and get it sorted out in the next few days and i'll PM you then. Thanks once again.

Back