Shooting at a train station?

I have written a one-location short film set entirely at a train station late at night. It doesn't seem too problematic to shoot, just show up and shoot late at night when the station should be empty or mostly empty. Of course we will be staying safe and not shooting on the tracks, the film does not call for that, it's just a conversation between two characters waiting for a train. My question is if I need to get permission in order to do so, and from whom, and if I need to worry about other logistics when shooting. This is really a no-budget production and we really won't be able to afford to pay for use of a location, hence my confusion about how to proceed. If there is an absolute necessity for it, the script can be easily adapted to another location, but the fact that it takes place at a train station is thematically important and affects the outcome of the story (as well as aesthetically pleasing to the director, who is me.) Do I need to worry about getting permission?

To do it properly, you'd need the permission of the railroad that owns/operates the station - who that is depends on where you are. They would (almost certainly) require you to have liability insurance, which is likely beyond your budget.

My suggestion would be to "steal" a couple of shots of the tracks and other things that will establish the location, then shoot the tight shots of the conversation elsewhere. Of course this will require advance scouting to find a good matching location, plus you need to pick the right spot and angles to shoot in the station.

I am still deciding on an exact location, but I am looking at a number of smaller town train stations, each of which is essentially just a platform, along the Newbury/Rockport line in MA. They seem small enough that I could film there unnoticed, and while I'm not opposed to stealing location footage (a no-budget filmmaker's gotta do what a no-budget filmmaker's gotta do), I would love advice if I should contact the MBTA or seek another option.

For further reference, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newburyport/Rockport_Line I am looking at the Newburyport branch most closely.

You could probably steal shots in a small town station at night. Learn what the train schedules are, then show up after a train leaves. The ticket guy (out here in Whitefish, MT at least) will leave and not show up until the next trail, which for us is 9 hours later.

Back