• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shooting a time-lapse?

I'm trying to shoot a time-lapse of the Golden Grate bridge going from sunset to night to sunrise.

I'm not sure about how I should go about setting this up. The shot will be static. Do I just just take three shots? One of the sun completely setting, one of the night, and one of the complete sun rise.

Also, since I'm not shooting a subject, do I need to do anything in terms of lighting. I intend to do some CC work in post to kind of heighten the feel of it but anything I should do while shooting?

I'll be shooting with a 5d mark 2 by the way.

No, you take hundreds (or thousands) of shots, depending on how long you want the final clip to be/how much you want it sped up. By way of example, let's pretend that you want to shoot for 12 hours with the final product being 20 seconds long. At 24fps, you will need 480 frames for your video (20 * 24). This means 40 frames per hour (480 / 12) or one shot taken every one and a half minutes.

I wouldn't attempt to light the Golden Gate Bridge at night unless you a) are Roger Deakins and b) have access to several generators and a dozen 18Ks.

Back