• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sharing a Screenwriting Post

One of the groups I follow had an interesting post. It is a note sent by Dave Mamet, topnotch playwright and screenwriter, to the TV writing crew. It hits on many of the points which have recently been raised. I include the link below:

http://www.movieline.com/2010/03/david-mamets-memo-to-the-writers-of-the-unit.php

A few particular quotes (Mamet wrote in all caps so it is just pasted as written):
"IF YOU DEPRIVE YOURSELF OF THE CRUTCH OF NARRATION, EXPOSITION,INDEED, OF SPEECH. YOU WILL BE FORGED TO WORK IN A NEW MEDIUM - TELLING THE STORY IN PICTURES (ALSO KNOWN AS SCREENWRITING)

THIS IS A NEW SKILL. NO ONE DOES IT NATURALLY. YOU CAN TRAIN YOURSELVES TO DO IT, BUT YOU NEED TO START."
The less the characters say and the more we see them do, the better the script. When I have commented on tightening dialogues, it's meant to help advance the visual aspects of the scene. If your characters say something, it should be impactful and relevant.

QUESTION:WHAT IS DRAMA? DRAMA, AGAIN, IS THE QUEST OF THE HERO TO OVERCOME THOSE THINGS WHICH PREVENT HIM FROM ACHIEVING A SPECIFIC, ACUTE GOAL.

SO: WE, THE WRITERS, MUST ASK OURSELVES OF EVERY SCENE THESE THREE QUESTIONS.

1) WHO WANTS WHAT?
2) WHAT HAPPENS IF S/HE DOESN’T GET IT?
3) WHY NOW?

THE ANSWERS TO THESE QUESTIONS ARE LITMUS PAPER. APPLY THEM, AND THEIR ANSWER WILL TELL YOU IF THE SCENE IS DRAMATIC OR NOT.
Scripts are about stories. Scenes are the bridges from the start to the end.

I'm not going to quote the whole article. It's a short, worthwhile read. While it's more from the TV angle, it is equally true of any movie endeavor.

Punctuation, grammar, spelling are important. Formatting is important. These are readily fixable. But if the story is lacking or poorly paced, that is the most serious handicap to your script's success.

Back