shallow dof adapter for cannon xha1

If I were to get the cannon xha1, how much should I look into for spending on a shallow dof adapter? Also i m having a hard time learning the differance between adapters and lens, can someone link me somewhere where I can learn about lens and adapters?

Thanks in advance :)

If I were to get the cannon xha1, how much should I look into for spending on a shallow dof adapter? Also i m having a hard time learning the differance between adapters and lens, can someone link me somewhere where I can learn about lens and adapters?

Thanks in advance :)

Tons of threads on adapters. You can spend less than $1000, or you can spend 2 or 3 thousnd dollars. Ater that you need the lenses (The adapter will be made to fit one brand). All the adapter does is allow the camera to swap lenses instead of having a single fixed lenses.

just to verify, the adapter is just that, an addon that will connect to the stock lens? and the lens is actually what will get the shallow dof look?

Yep. The adapter connects to the camera in front of the stock non-removeable lens. You will then set the "back focus" so that the image coming through the adapter is in focus on the stock lens, then you put a camera lens on the front which is focused on the subject. You'll probably need 3 or 4 lenses minimum. Something for wide shots and masters like a 28mm or a 35 mm, something for intermediate shots like an 85mm, and something for closeups like a 115mm. That's minimum lenses. Unless the adapter is one of the more high end ones (that comes with a gizmo to fip the image right side up), you'll also have to be aware the image will be inverted, upside down in your monitor. You'll need an external monitor you can flip upside down, or one of the gizmos the flips the image right side up inside the apapter.

why would an adapter be so expensive then, if its just that, an adapter haha. so how much i am looking to spend on an adapter, and what kind of brands should i be looking at for the xha1? also could you briefly explain why i will need 3 or 4 lens minimum? if i just wanted to get the lens for the shallow dof look, which i hear is 35 mm, could i just get that for those shots and, remove the adapter and lens for the rest of the shots?

thanks a lot for the responses ive already learned a lot

why would an adapter be so expensive then, if its just that, an adapter haha. so how much i am looking to spend on an adapter, and what kind of brands should i be looking at for the xha1? also could you briefly explain why i will need 3 or 4 lens minimum? if i just wanted to get the lens for the shallow dof look, which i hear is 35 mm, could i just get that for those shots and, remove the adapter and lens for the rest of the shots?

thanks a lot for the responses ive already learned a lot

The adapter has a lens inside it. That lens either spins or vibrates (a redrock spins, I think some others vibrate). It's a pretty precise hunk of optics. It also come with a system of stabilization rods and stuff because you have now mounted a big chunk of hardware on the front of your camera that needs to be held in place and stabilized. I think a redrock, with the stabilization system (but no lenses) is in the $1000 to $1500 range. You need the lenses because the lens that is built into your camera now is totally out of the equation. You can't zoom with it anymore. It's locked down. If you want a wider shot, change the camera lens on the redrock, want a closer shot, change the camera lens on the front of the redrock (or other adapater). Pulling the adpater off and on to only use it with one lens would be a royal pain in the ass. You'd have to set the backfocus again everytime for one thing.

What an adapter does is make a fixed lens camera work like a more expensive camera that has interchangeable lenses, using less expensive lenses made for still cameras. The shallow DOF is just a side effect of using those camera lenses. The increased distance between that lens on the front of the redrock and the sensors in the camera will also make everything 1/2 stop to a stop or more (depending on the adapter) darker, so you'll have to light things more.

Last edited:
Back