• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sex scenes!

The script that I'm writing now has a few sex scenes. I was wondering if people have any advice? One of the scenes is when one of the girls looses their virginity, a few of the others are drug induced. One or two contain more than two people.

You don't need to go into detail. The actors and directors will work out what is appropriate for their needs--cable, broadcast, theater, DVD, etc. They are the ones who need to get this past the censors or opt to go the adult route.

Unless it is critical to the story, you don't need to go into elaborate detail about positions and practices. If your character finds herself (or himself) placed in a new, awkward situation (say being kissed/aroused/f*d by a same sex partner) that might require some description of their emotional response.

Screenwriting is NOT novel writing were all the details are spelled out. Screenwriting is collaborative with the director, actors, set designers, costumers, etc. If you read a few different screenplays, you'll see writers approach sex scenes in a number of ways. Often the same way they approach fight scenes. Fight scenes are generally left to fight choreographers so writers keep it description to a minimum as to the "how". The emphasis is on this is who involved, what needs to happen and who comes out on top.

What FSF said.

I would only add to think of your story and intent. And what Pixar is said to live by: story, story, story.
So, if you're writing erotica, like Red Shoe Diaries, or something like that, then the love scenes really ought to be fairly explicit and, well, erotic. Still, as FSF says, probably leave that up to the director and the actors, etc.

But let's say that the way in which the characters have sex is significant to the development of the story or the characters (and so, the story), then you might want to describe it. For example. In Young Adam, the sex is decidedly and deliberately unromantic. I haven't read the Young Adam Screenplay. But the nature of the sex is important to the characters' interpersonal relationships and so to the story. So if I were writing that, I would probably find some way of conveying that it should be unromantic. It's an interesting question. Did the writer of Young Adam devise that, or did the director and actors? Ahhhh, so it was written and directed by the same man. That may be telling, huh?

But imagine a very different story in which the sex should be very passionate or loving or tender etc. If it's important to the story, I would think that it's up to the writer to at least suggest that. Anyway, I can easily imagine how a screenplay could benefit from the writer at least describing what tone is appropriate.

Back