• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Set extensions with a matte painting

Not bad, but the blacks on the castle and nearby mountain are too black - it's quite a distance away and as things go into the distance the perceived contrast is reduced (atmospheric perspective). Having the very high contrast there looks a bit unnatural. The edge around the added elements looks a tad too sharp too - film is ALWAYS a bit blurrier than cg! Just soften it slightly, reduce the contrast and it'll be grand :)

It looks good, but I would execute a slight pan with the footage to give it more dynamics. You can accomplish this by setting the shot 2d image up as a 3d projection, then move the virtual camera within your compositing software.

I agree with the other posters. It looks good and with some minor tweaking it'll look fantastic.

It's one of those things where you spend a ton of time on it and go 'wow, I think I got it.' But just keep playing with it, more and more subtly and it'll look awesome. I'm always surprised when I watch Andrew Kramer's tutorials and halfway through I think he's done. But he keeps going and perfecting it until it looks way better than you would have thought.

Rant over :)

Back