• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

selective sharpening

Hey there,

I spent several hours googleing and youtubeing on that matter. No solution, maybe someone here can help me.

I'm simply trying to sharpen specific areas of my video. In the very case, kids playing in the middle of a wide field shot. I need those kids sharp. Is there anything like the sharpening brush in photoshop? I came up with one humble way of doing by means of titles, but it is rather confusing and I don't quite get the result that I want...

Same accounts for lightening, do you know any nice mask work-flow on how to lighten, but particularly sharpen specific areas of a shot?

Thanks guys!

*I'm using adobe premiere pro cs 6

unsharp mask in AE with a mask?

Or blur the rest, so it seems sharper :P
(I did that once when some marketeer sent me unfocussed underexposed footage, lol, and it 'worked' )

hmm, yes but I really want to get a specific area sharper, not the rest blury ;)

I can't believe that there is no way to do that at all... I've literally watched every youtube video available...

any suggestions are highly appreciated. pretty vital to my project...

Are they on 1 spot all the time?
In that case you can create a mask layer in photoshop, by creating a with image with the area you need as a black dot with feathered edges. (big brush with hardness at 50% or lower)
Add it as layer, set it as matte key (with a luma key).
now you have on layer of the footage with a hole in it.
please a normal copy below and use unsharp mask.

Or... reshoot. ;)

It's easy to do this in After Effects.

- Place your video into a composition and duplicate it.
- Apply the desired sharpening (or whatever effect you want) to the top layer
- Draw a mask around the area you want sharpened on the top layer
- Raise the feather setting on the mask to blend the edges and let the effect fall into the background

If the part you want sharpened moves significantly within the frame you may need to animate the mask. If the motion is simple it's probably easiest to just add a few keyframes and drag the mask to the appropriate positions. If the motion is complex it gets more difficult - you may need to combine keyframing of the mask with motion tracking.

It's easy to do this in After Effects.

- Place your video into a composition and duplicate it.
- Apply the desired sharpening (or whatever effect you want) to the top layer
- Draw a mask around the area you want sharpened on the top layer
- Raise the feather setting on the mask to blend the edges and let the effect fall into the background

If the part you want sharpened moves significantly within the frame you may need to animate the mask. If the motion is simple it's probably easiest to just add a few keyframes and drag the mask to the appropriate positions. If the motion is complex it gets more difficult - you may need to combine keyframing of the mask with motion tracking.

+1
Exactly what I meant to say in my first reply with too little words :P

Hey now, some of us are still perfectly happy in the dark ages with CS6!

unsharp mask in AE with a mask?

This was going to be my suggestion. Though I'm not sure it's going to end up looking good. Blurry footage is one of the worst mistakes and hardest things to fix, imho. Worth a shot, though.

edit: I don't think you even need to create a solid or duplicate the layer. Just make a new adjustment layer, apply the effect to that, and apply the mask to the adjustment layer, no?

Thank you for the suggestions. (Don't have access to AE atm - stuck with Premiere and Photoshop)

Sorry, I must sound like a retard, but I'm using the German
version, plus I haven't really worked with masks before..

@WalterB: I tried your workflow, didn't quite work tho...

So, I created a white layer with the area I want to be in focus being black feathered.

However, I cannot quite figure out how to do the following

"Add it as layer, set it as matte key (with a luma key).
now you have on layer of the footage with a hole in it.
please a normal copy below and use unsharp mask."

In video1 (normal video) I use a set mask effect to and choose to use the matte from video2(mask_layer)

Then I apply the luma key effect to video2

Now I have I white layer with the video inside (the area where I applied the black brush)

What did I do wrong?

from the top of my head I'm not sure what went wrong.
I know you need 3 layers.
You can put the photoshop layer on 1
On 2 put normal video layer.
On 3 put the video layer with the matte key and unsharpen effect.

This way the photoshop layer can't show in the result.

Back