SD Cards for Video

Is it the case that SDXC cards are the best SD type cards to use for video?

My editing computer doesn't have USB 3.0. But it doesn't have an SDXC card reader, either. I want to get a Sandisk (USB 3.0) card reader, which is supposed to be backward compatible with USB 2.0.

I'm okay with it downloading via my USB 2.0 ports onto my computer at a slower rate than it would via a USB 3.0 port. I'm not in a huge hurry for that transfer.

But it's still better to use a faster card in your camera for the best bit rates and smoothest recording, isn't it?

Or am I headed towards having performance issues or even incompatibility problems?

Thank you very much for any help. =)

But it's still better to use a faster card in your camera for the best bit rates and smoothest recording, isn't it?

Yes, to a point. Take for instance, water resistant to 100 or 200 meters. If you're just taking showers each day, 200 is overkill. Hell, 100 is also overkill. With camera, you'll either hit its minimum requirement or not. Most (consumer) cameras require a class 10 card, though other camera have higher requirements. Take for instance, the Black Magic Pocket Camera required a SanDisk 95MB/s card to record raw.

Make sense?

Or am I headed towards having performance issues or even incompatibility problems?

You shouldn't have any compatibility issues. You just may be spending more $$$ than you need to spend.

Back