Script to screen.... Time?

Hi guys. I wasn't sure where I should post this question so I decided to post it here. I have two questions actually. First question. When submitting a short film to a festival what is an acceptable lenght? 15-20 min?

With that being said, I was curious as to go about finding out how long a script my be when filmed. I have read in several places that each page is roughly one minute of footage. Does this generally hold true? I know there will be situations where it will be long or short but on average is that a correct assumption. I haven't shot anything using a script and would like some input from those of you who have. Thanks for your time.

Live life, frame by frame

Hi guys. I wasn't sure where I should post this question so I decided to post it here. I have two questions actually. First question. When submitting a short film to a festival what is an acceptable lenght? 15-20 min?

With that being said, I was curious as to go about finding out how long a script my be when filmed. I have read in several places that each page is roughly one minute of footage. Does this generally hold true? I know there will be situations where it will be long or short but on average is that a correct assumption. I haven't shot anything using a script and would like some input from those of you who have. Thanks for your time.

Live life, frame by frame

1 page should eaqul 1 min on screen

short film festivals - ive seen a mix of 3min to 20 min depends on the festival

hope that helps

1 page should eaqul 1 min on screen

That rule of thumb only applies as an average over the length of an entire script, if the script is formatted to Hollywood standard layout and the action to dialogue ratio averages out at 2/3 action to 1/3 dialogue.

The only way to get an accurate time on a short is to block it out in rehearsal and time the scenes.

Back