• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Script for "Development Hell"

Hey there, everyone. I have been meaning to post some things on the forum for a while (I hate it when people sign up to a forum and then never use it) but I have been really busy this week. However, I have finally got some spare time on a blistering hot Sunday afternoon, so here goes.

Last week, I finished the script for one of my many new films (which may never get done) entitled "Development Hell". Development Hell stems from many previous ideas I have had for films about making films. It is both a semi-autobiographical film and a self parody, exploring my bizarre obsession with film making despite my age and the other priorities I should have (although this is taken to extremes within the film). Like most of my work, it is a teen comedy-drama.

I know the script for Development Hell is far from perfect. A character is introduced around page 30 named "Paul", who is intended to mess around with Martin's film ideas and irritate him. Imagine the people at the BBC in "Extras" who completely ruin Andy Millman's idea for a sit-com - that is what I was trying to achieve. However, I was trying to think about time and what I would be able to do with the constraints I have. Furthermore, I ran out of ideas for the character. Maybe one day, when I have had more time to think about it, I can go back and alter the script, writing more sections featuring Paul.

It's either "Development Hell" or "Kim" that is the best thing I have ever written. With each script I write, I think I get better at being more subtle in both humour and emotion. The link to the script on my DeviantArt is below - you have to click on the "Download File" button on the right of the page to view the script. All of my other scripts since Rebound are also on my DeviantArt.

http://heliumcowfilms.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d307by6

So, I hope some of you get around to reading the script for Development Hell (and maybe some of my other films!) I'd love to receive some feedback!

Back