• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

script agents

hi all.

I am currently working on screenplay, once completed, I would want to sell the script.
I have in the past written and directed small projects, however this time I would like take my work to the next level.

I have been reading about selling screenplays online, and there are many companies who are offering similar services where the writer pays a fee to join and then he is promised that his work will forwarded to production companies. does this really work??? has anyone got experience with these online services???

I know that the major companies \ studios requires solicited scripts submitted via a script agent, now the questions where can i find legit agents to represent the script?

Regards

Jemshaid
link removed

The best advice is to research any you're thinking of getting to help you. There are a lot of scammers out there I think so be careful, and if you're unsure about any companies, ask people here or on other forums about them.

Be sure to do your research well.

The only real service I've seen that works is InkTip.com and unfortunately, a lot of the producers that lurk there are very low level i.e., they are rarely able to get a project off the ground. I only relay that to squash the idea that it's any kind of a "sure thing."

There are no "sure things."

I believe there are some really good posts here on the forum that discuss marketing your spec... When I say or recommend to read them all, I really mean to read them all several times and bump the thread if these old discussions spawn any unanswered questions.

In a nutshell however -- and of course this is only MY perspective...

Market to production companies. If the script is OUTSTANDING, it's certainly going to open some doors. The problem is in knowing if it's outstanding or not. LOL. Because if it's NOT outstanding (and remember, about 98% to 99% of all scripts circulating out there are garbage), your name could end up in a database that keeps successive production companies from reading your current and future specs.

Meaning that I recommend, at a minimum, that you at least spring for some coverage from 2 or 3 places to see if a basic coverage service even gives the script a RECOMMEND.

Why?

Because if a basic coverage service doesn't give you a recommend, chances are outstanding that the majority IF NOT EVERYONE is going to pass on your script.

And that could be for a couple of reasons of course... But what I'm really saying here is that you find out if your spec is competitive before sending it out. Not doing that would be an exercise in futility.

Good luck with it!

filmy

You don't need an agent to sell a script.

I wouldn't pay for someone to e-query for you when you can do it yourself... for free.

What Jumper said about InkTip is right - they send me the free thing, and it was bragging about how a writer using their service sold a script to Dave Sterling. Anyone here know him? I do. He makes films for $10k. He's not a bad guy or anything - he just makes ultra low budget films for low end DVD labels. And he's a character (as my mom would say). But you can't make any money selling a script to him.

Best thing to do - make sure your script is great, then use whatever connections you have plus send out queries and e-queries and do everything else. Good luck!

- Bill

Back