Screenwriting Competitions

Hey Everybody,

It's me again! I have a question for you, how many of you have either yourself, or known someone who's entered a screenwriting competition? How about gone to a screenwriting conference? I am VERY interested in going to one of the most exciting screenwriting conferences in 2008 I just want to know which one has had the most knowledge. I have just checked the prices for some of them and they ain't cheap! With that being said, for right now, I have to make the most of the least that I have (money) :lol:!

Throw some ideas out there to me let me know something because I am new to the movie biz and I need a "heads up" sort of deal.

Thanks in advance,

Triple Threat

While I don't...

Hey Everybody,

It's me again! I have a question for you, how many of you have either yourself, or known someone who's entered a screenwriting competition? How about gone to a screenwriting conference? I am VERY interested in going to one of the most exciting screenwriting conferences in 2008 I just want to know which one has had the most knowledge. I have just checked the prices for some of them and they ain't cheap! With that being said, for right now, I have to make the most of the least that I have (money) :lol:!

Throw some ideas out there to me let me know something because I am new to the movie biz and I need a "heads up" sort of deal.

Thanks in advance,

Triple Threat

believe in screenwriting competitions per se... There are a few that might be worth entering. Unfortunately, the majority are not.

Why?

Because your screenplay is often NOT even judged by anyone in the industry. This is especially true in smaller and more regional competitions... So, even if you win, what do you win? Some money and or some software if you're lucky. Most winning screenplays of screenwriting competitions NEVER even get sold or made into a movie.

Why?

Because the judges have absolutely NO IDEA what Hollywood is looking for. Many screenwriting competitions focus on well written small character driven screenplays EVEN if they have some well written action, thriller, or horror movies.

Why?

Because they keep HOPING that by judging this way is somehow going to change Hollywood. LOL.

Uh... I don't think so.

Having said that, there are some good competitions to consider:

Nicholl Fellowships

Sundance Screenwriters Lab *Note: Cannot submit applications until 15 Feb every year.

The Chesterfield Writer's Film Project

The Disney ABC Writing Fellowship

The Nickelodeon Writing Fellowship

Scriptapalooza

Script Pimp Screenwriting Competition

ScriptShark Insider Screenwriting Competition

ASA International Screenplay Competition

Big Break International Screenwriting Contest

Zoetrope Screenplay Contest

The AAA Screenplay Contest

Hollywood Gateway Screenwriting Contest

Arizona Screenplay Challenge

Indie Producer Screenwriting Contest

Slamdance Screenplay Competition

Warner Brothers Television Writing Workshop

The Writer's Network Screenplay and Fiction Competition

Page International Screenwriting Awards

The above list of competitions, workshops, labs, and fellowships are probably the very best one can get involved with.

Why?

Because the competitions use industry pros as judges. They have utilities in place to promote or submit your winning screenplay to agents, managers, producers, and studios so that at the very least, you'll end up getting your script read along with some good meetings out of it if nothing else.

The workshops and labs will always have industry pros helping you out as mentors... So you can't lose there either and often you'll make some outstanding contacts along with some fantastic screenwriting instruction.

I would tend to stay away from contests that purport to simply put your winning script IN FRONT of industry professionals with the use of newsletters, submissions to InkTip, or promises of pitch meetings. Not only will these competitions very likely select screenplays that Hollywood wouldn't be interested in but you're still the one doing all the work JUST TO GET YOUR SCREENPLAY READ.

At the very minimum... You want to enter screenplay competitions that guarantee to get your screenplay read or requested by agencies, management firms, producers, and studios.

As for screenwriting conferences...

I've been to them all and the best are the following:

Creative Screenwriting's Screenwriting Expo

A great weekend of screenwriting. Classes are cheap. Unfortunately, some classes are simply sales pitches to the guru's own workshops or software but if you do your research BEFORE you go, you can find a lot of great classes without ever attending someone's sales pitch. Of course it will cost you some money to get to Los Angeles and stay in a motel/hotel and get transportation but if you want to learn a lot about screenwriting in a short amount of time, this is the place.

Screenwriting Conference in Santa Fe

In my opinion, not as good as the Expo but smaller and more intimate so it's possible to make better contacts.

Austin Film Festival and Conference

Very much like the conference in Santa Fe.

There are others but I feel these are definitely the best... These have been consistent and continue to prosper every year while others operate for a few years and then disappear.

Hope it helps...

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Filmy

Hey Filmy,

I want to let you know once again that I thank you and appreciate you for all of your wonderful advice that you have bestowed upon this mere mortal :). You are one of the greatest people that I know on this site and just continue to be who you are and you will continue to be blessed.

As always,

Triple Threat

Hey, good links, man.

Thanks.

And even if would be just money, you could always put that down on a short film script or something.

That's what I'd do.

I have to agree with the others and I will heartily applaud filmy's intelligent and thorough response. In 20+ years of observing, I have only heard of a handful of films that were produced as a result of winning a contest. Nichol is definitely the big one to enter. A smaller one that has a decent track record in Blue Cat, which was founded and is administered by Gordy Hoffman, brother of Philip Seymour Hoffman and winner of the Waldo Salt award at Sundance.

I entered a few contests. (Slamdance, ASA, Bluecat, Nicholls, writemovies).

The ones that give feedback (slamdance, bluecat) have been of tremendous help by offering relevant and objective critiques. Even if - unlike me - you don't need to keep you ego in check, there may be a discrepancy between how perfect you think your screenplay is and the opinion of someone working in the industry. I mean in purely technical terms. (characterization, plot, originality,...)... For $20-50, you'll get priceless insight into how to straighten things out, not to mention an opportunity to learn humility.

As to what winning a contest can bring you, I don't see the fact that winners don't end up filmed as a red flag. Spec screenplays are a dying breed, even pro's have a hard time placing them. But a decent placement in a top-rated contest promotes you from nobody to nobody whose script got a decent placement in a top-rated contest. But granted if you're the shy type and are going to wait for "hollywood" to chase you, you probably won't reap much from it.

I entered a few contests. (Slamdance, ASA, Bluecat, Nicholls, writemovies).

The ones that give feedback (slamdance, bluecat) have been of tremendous help by offering relevant and objective critiques. Even if - unlike me - you don't need to keep you ego in check, there may be a discrepancy between how perfect you think your screenplay is and the opinion of someone working in the industry. I mean in purely technical terms. (characterization, plot, originality,...)... For $20-50, you'll get priceless insight into how to straighten things out, not to mention an opportunity to learn humility.

As to what winning a contest can bring you, I don't see the fact that winners don't end up filmed as a red flag. Spec screenplays are a dying breed, even pro's have a hard time placing them. But a decent placement in a top-rated contest promotes you from nobody to nobody whose script got a decent placement in a top-rated contest. But granted if you're the shy type and are going to wait for "hollywood" to chase you, you probably won't reap much from it.

Spec screenplays are a dying breed?

Uh... No. You're absolutely wrong.

The real problem is that 99% of spec screenplays SUCK. Plain and simple. Derivative and cliché.

More specs are being read today than ever before.

More specs are barely readable than ever before.

And to be honest, I'd rather pay for standard industry coverage than getting back some feedback from a contest.

Which is why I don't really believe that contests are the way to go if you're trying to break into the business with your screenwriting.

The ones I listed are probably worthy of sending your screenplay to but in addition to that, I'd be marketing like a son-of-a-bitch to producers and asking for referrals.

filmy

Back