• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenplay club - Adaptation

Screenplay club is an indie club sub-forum where screewriters read the same script at the same time and then discuss it. This came about because Filmjumper suggested that reading a screenplay every week was just basic research for any screenwriter who was serious about thier craft. (We do one every two weeks)

This year I'm going to try to rotate the scripts through a variety of genres. But to kick off Poke has suggested Adaptation, which of course is a screenplay about writing a screenplay.

We'll read this for the next two weeks and please put your thoughts in this thread.

I get my scripts from http://www.scriptcrawler.net/

Good reading

One of the first things I've noticed is that the script (by page 11) has taken on the personality of it's Main Character, an exagerated version of the real Charlie Kaufman - it's frenetic and jerky...we jump back and forth between conversations, locations, and time.

Something that threw me off, and I'm not sure if I like or not was when Orlean turns to the camera and starts speaking to us directly (which is fine) but she doesn't finish her thought. The scene cuts as she's about to say the name of the place Laroche and the Indians were caught poaching Orchids. I don't know why Kaufman did this, I don't see a reason.

Poke

Back