Scheduling: my largest hurdle...

As a filmmaker, my biggest challenge hasn't been licensing, copyright entanglements, festivals, or even budget. These problems all hold us back from making blockbusters, but I can usually still make the simple films I want without money, pop music, and A list actors...my biggest problem is scheduling!

Now, maybe it's because all my partners and I are in school, but I can't for the life of me get any shooting time in because everyone's schedule is so different. When I want to shoot, my actors have class. When they can shoot, I have work. When we all have free time, the weather sucks. Aaaahhh!!!!

Just thought I'd vent over here at IndieTalk.

Sometimes you have use day players for the days your hired crew members are not going to be there. Yes, scheduling is tough. :)

I here ya pal. I'm coming off a weekend shoot in Denton. The thing is, with everyone's schedule the way it is, it had to be this weekend, and even then not everyone could show. Plus with the locations we had we were forced to shoot during the day on Saturday, and from 2 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Sunday (we kicked ass overnight and got everything shot, so we ended up with a couple of hours of rest, but it was not planned that way). Add to that the fact that we are scattered across Texas (3 in Austin, 1 in Waco, 3 in DFW area) so then you got to factor in driving time.

Scheduling is a big headache for me as well.

Poke

The worst is scheduling conflicts that arise and force you to extend your camera and lighting rentals, and your insurance!

Poke said:
I here ya pal. I'm coming off a weekend shoot in Denton. The thing is, with everyone's schedule the way it is, it had to be this weekend, and even then not everyone could show. Plus with the locations we had we were forced to shoot during the day on Saturday, and from 2 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Sunday (we kicked ass overnight and got everything shot, so we ended up with a couple of hours of rest, but it was not planned that way). Add to that the fact that we are scattered across Texas (3 in Austin, 1 in Waco, 3 in DFW area) so then you got to factor in driving time.

Scheduling is a big headache for me as well.

Poke

Awe man! You should have let me know you were shooting! I went to Corpus Christi for Spring Break and had to pass through Denton on my way back to Norman. Also, my parents live right by Denton...sounds like you had enough help, but for future reference: I have a place (my parents') in north Texas.

Back