Santa Clarita Film Festival - first year, first rate!

Just wanted to mention this cool first-year festival, which will certainly grow thanks to a hard-working staff of fest directors, Ben, AJ, Ramon and Jennifer. They had a number of nice sponsors and prizes, and some really kick-ass trophies designed by a local artist (www.haziza.com). "Arc" picked up the award for Best Short Film.

The sound in the Canyon Guild Theatre was incredible, and the projection quality was really nice. I wasn't present for any technical snafus, and the Q&A's all ran very smoothly, including the one for the winning documentary "Ties On A Fence", which deals with women in the Skid Row area of LA. The festival brought in several volunteers for the homeless from the local community, and the audience discussed possible solutions.

I also recieved a Final Draft Scriptwriter's Suite and a Final Draft "Ask The Pros: Screenwriting" book, along with a $25 gift certificate to a restaurant in Santa Clarita. Non-award winners received copies of "LA411", a great filmmaking resource book that usually retails for about $80. Pretty nice.

All in all, a nicely run festival, especially for an inaugural event. Submissions for their next fest will open in February, and I will definitely be submitting one of my next films.

www.sciffestival.com

Back