Sample rates and bit depths

Perhaps you know it as "Polyphonic Key Pressure" which can be found in the MIDI spec here: http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php

Yes, I know what "After Touch" or "Polyphonic Key Pressure" is. What I'm asking you is, when using the "After Touch" parameter, how does that affect the sound?

The data transmitting from a MIDI instrument, AKA Controller

No, a MIDI Instrument and a MIDI Controller are two different things! A MIDI Controller generates MIDI commands and a MIDI Instrument responds to MIDI commands (and outputs sound).

There is NOTHING about the actual SOUND in MIDI data.

Ah, maybe we're getting somewhere. The OP and all subsequent posts in this thread, prior to you introducing MIDI, were ONLY "about the actual SOUND", including my "circle" analogy!

I can send any data with the limit being numeric values from 0 – 127 (0-255 for status bits), however I can send any number of them that I like, thus any data you can imagine can be sent over MIDI. ...

Now imagine a different synth, our imaginary synth of the analogy. Our new synth would use that same data differently. The imaginary synth would use 144 as the X coordinate on some grid and 060 as the Y coordinate on that same grid, thus defining a “point” and the third byte 120 as the radius value. Our imaginary synth would then instead of making sound, would use those three inputs to plot a circle on a screen or piece of paper at the position defined by points 144, 060 with a radius of 120.

If you're talking about drawing an actual circle on a piece of paper then yes, you probably could use the MIDI protocol and a suitably programmed plotter/printer but of course that's not what we're talking about because as you well know, I was using the drawing of circles is an ANALOGY (for sine waves). In which case, what you've stated above is again incorrect! Even if it were possible to store digital audio data in the MIDI protocol (which of course it isn't!), MIDI operates at 31,250 bits per second, which is over 70 times slower than is required for 48/24 stereo audio!

G

Last edited:
Back