• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

SAG "financial core"

I randomly came across this web page and several like it:
http://www.pirromount.com/voight.html

It talks about SAG "financial core" status - where you can hire a SAG actor w/ out becoming a SAG signatory or signing a SAG agreement. I made a short last year with one SAG actor, who was great, but the paperwork was a complete pain in the (*(*# for a 3 day shoot on a short film.

I like working with union actors and crew, as they (usually) really know their stuff! But SAG is legendary for its paperwork. I still had to fill out 4 or 5 forms a month after the shoot wrapped - again, this is for one actor on a three day shoot.

Financial core...

filmscheduling said:
I randomly came across this web page and several like it:
http://www.pirromount.com/voight.html

It talks about SAG "financial core" status - where you can hire a SAG actor w/ out becoming a SAG signatory or signing a SAG agreement. I made a short last year with one SAG actor, who was great, but the paperwork was a complete pain in the (*(*# for a 3 day shoot on a short film.

I like working with union actors and crew, as they (usually) really know their stuff! But SAG is legendary for its paperwork. I still had to fill out 4 or 5 forms a month after the shoot wrapped - again, this is for one actor on a three day shoot.

The only real problem with financial core is getting SAG actors to go for it... Most think that by doing so, they will somehow get blackballed...

However, there are actually quite a few well known actors who have gone financial core... Jon Voight to name one...

I'm pretty sure all that really affects them is not being able to vote in elections... Something like that... The other obstacle is SAG itself... When a SAG actor attempts to go financial core, SAG does their best to discourage it...

filmy

I know SAG and Aftra are trying to make it easier to employ their members, now with SAGIndie and all, but for most productions it is still too much of a pain vs. hiring no-hassle non-union cast and crew. But considering all "names" are union we dont have much of a choice.

An aside, do you know Mark Pirro? HAH thats the last name I thought Id ever see on this board... but he has been successful, especially with overseas distro.

Back