S&Man- underground horror doc

S&Man (pronounced Sandman) is a “documentary” about the underground horror scene by JT Petty. After failing to get a local Peeping Tom to appear in his documentary about voyeurism, JT sets out to make another film examining the underground horror scene and the inherent voyuerism of film. Interviewing experts and filmmakers alike, the documentary explores the thin line between reality and fantasy within the confines of these trashy horror movies.

From “scream queens” to booze-guzzling filmmakers, we see the darkest side of the low-budget perverted world: people cutting their arms, strangling women to death after stalking them, naked women on crucifixes being mutilated, etc. A strong theme develops on the desensitizing of modern society using the Abu Ghirab photos and real decapitation videos as an example. The question is posed: In a world where technology and video manipulation can simulate anything- how do we know when what we are seeing is really real?

The film takes a startling turn when one filmmaker, Eric Rost, begins stalking the documentary crew and dropping hints that his voyeuristic snuff films might actually be more real than they seem… Eric’s films (a series called “S&man“) have him follow women around and stalk them before closing in for the kill. When JT asks Eric how he meets the actresses, Eric confesses that he does some “screen tests” by following the women without permission and then approaching them later… but when they ask if they can interview the women, Eric becomes withdrawn. The documentary crew attempts to follow Eric in a similar fashion leading to a confrontation, and the ending has a shocking conclusion that leaves the audience wondering- Did that just really happen?

I was not aware of JT Petty’s work before this film, but I must say I’ll be keeping a voyeuristic eye on him from now on. If you get a chance to see S&Man, do so… just try not to do it when you’re deleriously tired, or you’ll be as initially mortified as I was. This is the most effective and clever horror film I’ve seen in a LONG time. This is one of my personal favorites of TIFF so far.

That was the post from my Blog. I recommend checking this film out- it's shot really "messy" and it's a "documentary" that plays with reality to the point that you actually become HORRIFIED!! I was all woozy with tiredness when I saw it, so I was tricked fully (that's no excuse!) by it, and I loved it for doing that. Remember how Blair Witch touted itself to be rea footage? That ain't NOTHING compared to this. If you're a fan of horror, or not, this is a great doc to see. I hope they get distribution.

Check out S&MAN

Back