• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Rubber Band trick

Has anyone ever done, or even heard of this. It seems like such a SIMPLE solution to a problem I've experienced before with the cheap tripod I have...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj6fMcJ18aA&

I use this all the time... two hairbinders, one in each direction will allow alot of control over the motion and still smooth it... you can even then tilt and pan with separate control for each.

SMOOOOTH is the word. Jerky cam is not so good IMo..Im ok w/ adding some handheld movements in post, but my shakes look horrid to me. I have a bud who is a true hack and films many projects handheld, Looks like crap to me.

Whats more is you can use it on more than just a tripod. I had to get this long dragging shot with the camera close to the ground, but it had to be smooth. So I attached my camera to a 2x4 (to act as a 'sled') and attached a bungee cord to the other end. I pulled on the bungee cord and got smooth footage.

Being the dumbass I am. I asked my DP who is a little older then me if he'd ever heard about the rubber band trick as he was removing his tripod from the case. He says you mean this? His tripod has a piece of elastic attached to the handle.

Back