Royalty-free archive footage

Just wondering, does anyone know where I can find royalty-free archive footage? I don't want to have to buy a whole package of it or anything that costs a whole lot. Like for instance, if I was to use a few seconds from one clip, would I have to end up paying a huge rate for just that portion of it? I'm mainly interested in news and sports footage but I don't want to have to end up paying hundreds of dollars for just 10 seconds. I'm not really sure about it at this point, and I've considered making documentaries about sports but mainly on a local level. Any suggestions?

On second thought, I went back through some of the posts here and someone asked about where he could get a particular piece of news footage for a documentary he is doing. Whoever replied pointed him towards a monitoring/clipping service called Cision, which documents national news, but I found one in my area that does the same thing for local news, and has a very extensive archive. I'm just not sure if that's the way to go. I emailed them but I have yet to hear back from them, but I know that they have a very extensive client list, mainly of ad agencies and other local businesses. What should I do?

archive.org for older stuff... as far as contacting... phone calls are much more immediate than e-mail or texts (my current most hated technology -- completely misused)

I see...just not sure if they have what I need though. As for that monitoring service, they haven't updated their web site, and I really doubt if it's still in business...

Back