Rode NTG-2 with Zoom H1 or H4N?

I currently have a RODE VideoMic and ZOOM H1 (which I collaborate). The audio is just not good enough, however, and has a muffled sound to it.

After listening to extensive tests of the NTG-2, I have concluded that it would be best to buy that, BUT...

Should I use it with my Zoom H1 or get a Zoom H4N? And if I'm able to use it w/ the Zoom H1, where can I get an adapter for XLR to 3.5mm jack?

I live in the UK. :huh: Please reply ASAP! THANK YOU

Hey,

The H4N Zoom is a great piece of equipment and if you have the money I would get one! It has XLR imputs so no need for an adapter.

I got mine from digital village for about £250, one of the best buys ive made in my short film career

I'm sure more knowledgeable people than myself will comment here, but I'd just like to add that I use the H4N / NTG-2 combination you mention and it is not a good pairing. The H4N needs a higher signal level (because it is supposed to be used for things like musical instruments that generate a lot distortion), that the NTG-2 does not deliver.

I find that I have to max out the input volume on the H4N just to get usable levels for dialogue, which adds a fair bit of noise to the recording. If I were you (i.e. if I were me, two years ago) I would go for the Tascam DR-100 instead of the Zoom.

NTG-2 is a great little mic for the price, though.

The S/N-R (Signal-to-Noise Ratio) on the DR-100 is only marginally better than the H4n. (I do prefer the DR-100 over the H4n for other reasons.) The issue is not just the pre-amps, but the mics as well. The NTG-2 and the AT897 (as well as other "self-powered" via battery mics) have noticeably lower output levels than other mics, which is why you need to crank up the gain so much.

Weak pre-amps + low mic output levels = lots of noise

To somewhat reduce the volume output problem use the NTG-1 or AT875. The issue here is that when the H4n or DR-100 have to supply phantom power the batteries drain very rapidly - 60 to 90 minutes. So battery packs are most definitely needed, although they will drain fairly quickly as well, so you will need at least two and preferably three.

However, the real issue is probably not the VM/H1 combo, but the technique used to record the dialog or some other technical issue.

You say that the sound is "muffled." Please define muffled. As an audio engineer muffled sounds like I have cotton stuffed in my ears or the sound is coming through thick walls. If the dialog sounds distant or has lots of reverb/echo your problem is probably mic placement rather than an equipment problem. Is the VM camera mounted, or is it on the end of a boom-pole with someone aiming the mic at the talent?

BTW, what does "(which I collaborate)" mean?

I've used a similar combo of handheld recorder and self powered mic(DR-100 and ME-66). Though the quality will be a quantum leap from on camera sound or consumer set ups like the video mic I have come across the issues Alcove has already mentioned. I really have to hammer the inputs to get a decent level to 'tape'.
Furthermore they are tricky to use, being designed to be hand held rather than slung. I have also had issues with the Tascam's phantom power and so have others but then again many have not so it may be a certin run or only affects some units. Maybe mine is a bit of a lemon.
TBH for straight to your-tube style stuff you will be well served, for anything more ambitious at the lest you should try and stretch to the Marantz PMD661 (not to be mistaken with similarly numbered handheld units similar to the zoom and tascams) and NTG1. Not only will the recordings be better the Marantz will be much easier to use. Easier is quicker and quicker is good.

Having said all that the sound from your set up shouldn't sound as terrible as you have implied unless you have done something wrong.

Of course there always is the option of saving your money and getting a sound guy in. Just as there are talented DoPs with 7ds taking expenses only or low paid gigs for credits and experience there are talented soundies with a field recorder and boom looking for projects to cut their teeth on. Or for a bit more an experienced soundy with limited but pro level kit just entering the pro-scene who is willing to charge substantially less than going rates to attract new custom (like me ;) )
That way you get the gear AND the skills and experience to use it effectively.

Back