Rode NTG-1 Kit: A good deal?

Hey guys,

I decided before I buy any more lenses or fancy editing software, something I should save up for over the next couple of months is audio gear. Right now all I have is the built-in mic on my T3i, and we all know that produces absolute crap!

So, I went on B&H Photo, and found something that looks pretty good! For just above $600, I can have a basic mic kit from Rode that has a boom pole, XLR cables, shock mount/wind screen, right here.

Of course, I would still have to buy the actual recorder+SD card, so that would bring my total up to close to $840-$910, depending on what brand/size of SD card I got (I'm going to buy the Zoom H4n for audio since it's almost half the price of the newish H6!), but would that still be a good deal for basic audio gear, or are there better deals out there?

Would the NTG-1 also be a decent mic? Sure it's older than the newer NTG-3, but that also means it's more affordable, and since I'm on a minimum wage job, well, shouldn't be too hard to figure out the math there. :P

Any input (haha, pun not intended) would be appreciated!

It can be a good kit, but "is it" depends on the recorder you end up using. The NTG-1 and NTG-2 are basically the same mic, with the difference that the 2 has a battery option (AA) and the 1 is phantom-powered only. I mention that because use of phantom power significantly reduces battery life in a field recorder.

These two mics have considerably lower output levels than some other budget shotguns, and that is something to think about because most budget recorders don't offer a whole lot of clean gain. In other words, they add a bit of noise the more the input gain is pushed.

There are a few options to minimize this:

1) B&H also has a similar, complete kit built around the Audio Technica AT-875 shotgun ($545), which offers a hotter output and thus reduces the amount of gain that is needed on input at the recorder. That means less amplified noise. If you go with pretty much any of the hand held recorders (Zoom, Tascam, etc.), this is the best option.

2) A better recorder with better pre-amps will offer the ability to use other mics regardless of output level, and that means the NTG-1 (or 2) would be a great choice on a budget. To do this, you're moving up into the area of bag-friendly recorders like the Fostex FR2-LE and TASCAM HD-P2, which cost more but are a lot less clumsy in use than trying to keep up with a hand held.

3) A good mixer in front pretty much negates the impact of crappy pre-amps in low-cost recorders, but then this is also a MUCH more expensive route. As you build your kit this is the direction you should eventually go, especially if you start getting into some serious production, but for now the right match of mic and recorder can certainly get you started!

And don't forget a good pair of headphones. Sony MDR-7506 or Sennheiser HD-280.

EDIT: As a side note, the NTG-1 isn't cheaper than the NTG-3 because it's an older model. It's cheaper because it is the entry-level, budget offering whereas the NTG-3 is the professional offering designed to compete with the Sennheiser MKH-416.

Last edited:
I'll back up AcousticAl.

I would personally recommend getting a Tascam DR-series recorder instead of a Zoom, say the DR-100mkII with a couple of battery packs.

Also remember that using a shotgun mic indoors presents a myriad of problems, so a hypercardioid like the Avantone CK-1 or the sE Electronics SE1A (which is really a cardioid) would be a good addition to your kit.

As always, the gear is only as good as the person operating it, so my recommendation to you is to find yourself an up-and-coming PSM/Boom-Op who already has the gear rather than buying it yourself. S/he will do a much better job than one of your friends or whichever PA isn't busy that day.

As always, the gear is only as good as the person operating it, so my recommendation to you is to find yourself an up-and-coming PSM/Boom-Op who already has the gear rather than buying it yourself. S/he will do a much better job than one of your friends or whichever PA isn't busy that day.

This is very true, but sadly I live in an area where there aren't that many fellow filmmakers around - closest is the Rockford/Chicago area and I'm about two hours north of there...and without a car of my own (which is a problem that I will fix soon so I can open up my options a bit more), you can see the problem I have there as well. :P

Plus, I want to get my own audio gear for many reasons - the top one being I'd love to learn as much as I can about audio production as well as cinematography/film editing. Frankly, I love everything about filmmaking so I kind of want to learn it all!

That Technica kit is definitely a good deal. Less expensive is a good thing for me right now, which also means that Tascam is a good deal. If I got both the kit and the Tascam, it would only cost me $767 - not including an SD card or that other mic, but it would leave me more money which I could use for higher quality cards and that other mic - so that's definitely a plus! I've already got a couple hundred saved towards audio gear (as well as the car I mentioned earlier, haha!), so it shouldn't be too long before I can get something (or a Mustang :lol:).

Thanks for all the input guys!

Had an incredibly busy 3 weeks at work, so haven't really browsed much more audio gear.

However, I did find this kit that looks like a pretty good deal. The one thing I don't really like is that the recorder itself is a lot larger than the other models, so it usually mounts on the tripod the camera sits on (so I've read). It's still portable, of course, just not as much as I would like.

It is a bit cheaper, though! What do you guys think?

Thanks, Alcove!

I think I'll go with the DR-100mkII as the recorder.

For mics, it might be worth it for me to save up for the NTG-3, since anything below that has considerably lower gain. Or, is there an in-between NTG-2 and NTG-3 mic that would work nicely as well?

Thanks for the help so far!

Why spend $700 on a mic that will not give you better sound?* And, having spent the $700 for the NTG-3, you still don't have all of the accessories you will need (the NTG-3 kits run from $1,000 to $1,500).

The NTG-3 is a great mic, but I very seriously doubt that you will gain any advantage by owning one unless you are planning on pursuing production sound as a career. The whole point of my $1,200 gear list is for low/no/mini/micro budget filmmakers to have a basic rounded production sound kit - shotgun mic, hypercardioid mic, audio recorder, headphones, quality cables, cases, etc. - that serves as a basis for future upgrades like a quality mixer.

If you get the DR-100mkII get a couple of battery packs.

* You currently do not have the skills, knowledge or experience to take advantage of a mic like the NTG-3.

Why spend $700 on a mic that will not give you better sound?...You currently do not have the skills, knowledge or experience to take advantage of a mic like the NTG-3.

Very true, I wouldn't really know where to begin with it. I do understand a little bit about audio, but it's very, very little. :P

I think I'll go with the NTG-2 kit, seems to be a pretty good deal. Rode mics seem to have a lot more positive reviews/feedback than other ones so I feel pretty confident with that decision!

And I'll definitely look into battery packs as well!

Very true, I wouldn't really know where to begin with it. I do understand a little bit about audio, but it's very, very little. :P

I think I'll go with the NTG-2 kit, seems to be a pretty good deal. Rode mics seem to have a lot more positive reviews/feedback than other ones so I feel pretty confident with that decision!

And I'll definitely look into battery packs as well!

As in another thread, you're better off w/ an NTG-1, providing phantom power from the recorder (fwiw, ntg-3 is great)

(if you are primarily recording outdoors)

Indoors? You'll want a hyper - like an Audix SCX1..

Back